Fraud protection

Hi guys,

Quick question: If my card is stolen while abroad, what do I do? Are there protections in place like a credit card or is it a case of have insurance and hope for the best?

Thanks,
Sean

You can freeze your card instantly in the app by tapping “Your Card” at the top and then “Freeze Card Temporarily” - since it’s a pre-paid debit card, you’re almost certainly on the hook for any transactions made before you do that.

A race to the phone. Here’s hoping they don’t steal your phone too then!

I asked on the app and found the T&C’s

https://getmondo.co.uk/terms/

you may only be liable to a maximum of £50 resulting from transactions arising from the use of a lost or stolen card or from the misappropriation of the payment instrument where the cardholder has failed to keep security features of the card safe.

I think the full clause needs to be provided for context (emphasis mine):

You may not be liable for any use of the card, card number, PIN or mobile application by another person who does not have your permission to use it or if it is lost, stolen or destroyed, unless:
you agreed to that person having your card, card number, PIN or mobile application credentials, or through gross negligence or carelessness, failed to comply with condition 9.1, in which case you may be liable for any use that occurs before you tell us in accordance with these terms and conditions, or
you acted fraudulently then, to the extent permitted by law, you may be liable for misuse of the card, card number, PIN or mobile application.
you may only be liable to a maximum of £50 resulting from transactions arising from the use of a lost or stolen card or from the misappropriation of the payment instrument where the cardholder has failed to keep security features of the card safe. The £50 liability limit is applicable to each instance of loss, theft or misappropriation and not each transaction.

In other words, you are not liable for money spent on your card if it is lost or stolen, as long as you have taken reasonable steps to “keep security features of the card safe”. Basically keep your card and your PIN to yourself, and freeze the card and notify Mondo as soon as reasonably possible in the event of loss or theft and you should be fine. #iamnotalawyer #iamnotamondoemployee