Flux: The End of Paper Receipts & Loyalty Cards

Sounds good to me! How do I sign up?

2 Likes

This is a great idea. One place to collect all your stamps for free coffees, car washes, and haircuts.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if someone else has covered this already (if they have, sorry) but how is redemption of free stuff going to happen? Are you planning to make it automatic, or do we choose when to redeem it?

The main reason I ask is because I have quite varied coffee habits, so it would be pretty typical for me to be buying some really expensive lattes with all the syrups, and then the next day I might just buy an espresso machiato. So for me, Iā€™d like to have a choice as to when I want to redeem the free coffee. Someone else, on the other hand, might have exactly the same every time, and would probably be happy for it to be redeemed automatically. Also, is redemption going to be in app (i.e. the value is taken off the bill in app and your card is charged less money, cashback etc.), or will you need to show something to the merchant?

Also, are you intending to have merchants ditch their own loyalty schemes in favour of this? If not, what safeguards are being planned (if any) to prevent people using their Monzo card and a physical stamp card at the same time?

1 Like

You can sign up on our site - tryflux.com. Unfortunately you will be on a waiting list for Monzo at the moment as weā€™ve got limited spaces, weā€™re fully live with Starling however.

Will keep you updated as soon as we have more spaces available :smile:

Great question! Today you automatically receive the loyalty on your, letā€™s say 10th coffee purchase. We are looking at making this more user driven in the future. I imagine it will likely be a toggle that is automatic or manual.

Redemption happens via automated cashback, you pay for the item and we send cashback on behalf of the retailer straight to your account so itā€™s all in app and no showing / telling anything to the cashier. It will come into your account like this:

Image uploaded from iOS (3)

We are working with merchants that are certainly keen to get rid of the costs and hassle associated with physical cards. Of course this a big decision that requires data to back it up, which is what weā€™re getting now! :smile:

2 Likes

Just had the following through on my iPhone, which is nice.

I might be being a bit slow but after opening the notification thereā€™s no way of minimising the splash screen? I have to force close Monzo to get back to my feed. Wasnā€™t sure if it was a Flux or Monzo thing?

EF502D6A-2FB7-4903-83E1-3E225CCB6BE3

Ick. An intrusive full screen ad, exactly the thing Iā€™d hoped Monzo wouldnā€™t doā€¦

It says Monzo on the textā€¦

1 Like

I believe the screen is from flux? I may be mistaken thoughā€¦

Sorry I could have been clearer, standard notification came through on iOS, clicked through and large splash screen in the Monzo app with no back button or decipherable way of minimising it.

I wasnā€™t sure whether itā€™s a Flux issue (their advert) or a Monzo issue (bad guidelines for notifications).

Also the wording is bad. ā€œBuy 4, get 1 free. First one on usā€ at the top, ā€œBuy 4 and the next one is on usā€ at the bottom.

Hi Haitch, this was powered by us, Flux.

Thanks for sending the screenshot, not sure why the back button is not displaying - we donā€™t have control of this. See below the notification I received.

Again thanks for the feedback! :smile: It was meant to convey that weā€™ve given you a full stamp card so your next coffee is free. After that when you buy 4 the next one is on us. Weā€™ll work on clarifying that.

Hey @TonyHoyle! :wave:

We think itā€™s important that you have control of what you receive which is why for users that have activated Flux we give them control over receiving notifications, loyalty and rewards like this:

Flux Privacy

Also we only sent the new coffee loyalty to customers that have previously shopped at EAT. and had notifications and loyalty turned on.

2 Likes

Hi Matty, Iā€™ve just checked and it looks like the back button not appearing is only an issue when clicking straight from the notification. It appears when clicking on the notification in the feed :man_shrugging:

I look forward to my free Monday morning coffee, keep up the good work :grin:

1 Like

Noted, thanks a lot for sharing on this! Great, enjoy! :coffee: :+1:

This issue sounds suspiciously similar to a bug I reported some time ago with golden tickets:

https://community.monzo.com/t/bug-no-back-button-on-golden-ticket/13406?u=bobt

Iā€™m not aware of any fix applied since reporting it.

1 Like
  1. What other information would you want on your receipt?

Everything currently there, plus geolocation info.

1. How valuable is automatically receiving loyalty points?

On a scale on 0 to 10, for me about 6. I gave up using loyalty cards because of the diminishing returns involved in carrying an over-stuffed wallet which benefits retailers more than me. If it were frictionless and didnā€™t involve carrying more cards, I would use loyalty schemes again.

1. How interested are you in getting suggestions or offers based on what youā€™ve purchased before?

Only a little, and as long as itā€™s not intrusive. Also, Iā€™m less likely to be annoyed and more likely to take the offer if it is relevant to me. In contrast to the Amazon approach, that means not parading leather jackets in front of me because I recently bought a leather jacket. Why would I want another one?

1. What else would you like to see after youā€™ve made a transaction?

Links to customers support, online help, discussion forums, etc. for some purchases. Details/links for warranty, return policy, etc.

Automatic registration with the manufacturer for products which have a card to fill in and post.

Iā€™d like to be able to tag receipts to make it easier to identify things that I can claim back on expenses from my limited company, and things that I can claim back as expenses from my client.

Iā€™d like to be able to generate an export of tagged items (single or multiple tags) for a specified date range, eg as a CSV or XML or JSON file.

Iā€™d like to be able to schedule exports and have them emailed to me (or to my accountant) on a regular basis. Ideally with attachments of each related receipt.

3 Likes

Hey @TheBearDidLady :wave:!

Wow, epic response with fantastic details. Really appreciate the time and effort you put into sending that to us :smile:

Couldnā€™t agree more.

Is this for backup purposes or for something else?

The scheduled export idea is to help remove some of the pain of doing quarterly tax returns. If I get the data I need without having to dig around for it, and itā€™s in a format that makes it easy to paste into an online form (reclaiming expenses from my client) or bundle up in an email (stuff Iā€™d send to my accountant) that would make life much less painful.

2 Likes

Hi team, thanks for the free coffee this morning! #goodmoodfood

Any news on adding more retailers than Eat and Bel-Air?

1 Like

Hey @Haitch!

Lucky you! :game_die:

If you get the chance share the kindness with someone else and keep us posted!

Weā€™re starting to trial with some other merchants and will keep this updated as we roll out :smile:

Is there a way of sharing the kindness through the app or do I just keep buying my gf coffees?

1 Like