Flotation Frippery or Share Skullduggery?

A question for those who have invested in Monzo.

When Monzo eventually/inevitably floats and your many hundreds and thousands of shares become freely available to trade, what are your plans? Will you sell up in a bid to make a quick killing, or are you in it for the long haul?

• Sell immediately, retire to the Bahamas
  • Hold short term, but sell once everything settles
  • Hold long term, like a shares Mr Trebus

0 voters

1 Like

may have had to google who Mr Trebus was :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™m showing my age with that one, got to say.

1 Like

vlcsnap-2013-09-21-13h15m45s241

My first thought was Tremas from Doctor Who. AKA the worldā€™s most obvious anagram for who that character would become.

He didnā€™t have any shares in anything though. They scrapped that plotline.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll buy more

4 Likes

Thereā€™s some really interesting articles floating about (pun intended) about how to handle these situations when a company you invested in floats.

Itā€™s basically a game of regret minimisation. If you sold 100% immediately and Monzo quadrupled in size a year later, would you feel regret? Conversely if you held onto them and Monzo tanked 95% a year later.

Thereā€™s loads of strategies. I think if the day comes, my anti regret strat is to sell around 7.5% of my remaining shares per quarter until thereā€™s none left; which should take years.

Hereā€™s an article (albeit about employee stock) covering the topic:

https://blog.wealthfront.com/sell-employee-stock/

2 Likes

Do you have an old fridge in your garden filled with boxes of broken biscuits too?

1 Like

This is interesting because it distinguishes whether you believe in the business or believe in the hype. Personally, I like Monzo but I believe more in the hype than the productā€™s ability to make significant in roads into the U.K. or global banking markets. (Please, nobody go off on one. I use Monzo as my main bank, just donā€™t believe there is room in the market for everybody). Iā€™d sell on Day 1 and be happy for any positive return, for fear of another Snap, where Monzo fails to truly monetise the platform.

Good thread. Looking forward to seeing what people say.

1 Like

Another way to look at it is risk minimisation. Holding long term is a risk if you donā€™t have other significant assets. Iā€™ll probably do something similar if we ever do get the chance - sell slowly over several years.

1 Like

I donā€™t reckon they will float until they are profit making or at least very close to it.

1 Like

HOLD!

I see big things for Monzo in the next 20-30 years

1 Like

Holding for that long youā€™ll definitely find out one way or another!

1 Like

At which point Iā€™ll be retiring with my fortune on a beach in sunny Scotland

2 Likes

Long enough for climate change to get that bad then

4 Likes

I do wonder when Monzo will float though, I reckon 3-5 years?

Still think theyā€™ll raise again but perhaps for a US launch?

Fascinating times, never thought Iā€™d get excited/ so interested in a bankā€¦

1 Like

2 years, Max, but next summer would be my guess, after it has been launched in America and Europe

1 Like

So soon?! We shall seeā€¦ I do feel they will really get going this year so it could happen

1 Like

Guess I need to buy some more sharesā€¦

Iā€™m going to have get over this whole number thing.

I wonder if thereā€™ll be another round before ipo

If I had enough shares - and Monzo got super super valuable - Iā€™d probably sell up to the amount each year thatā€™s capital gains exempt.

A man can dream.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll hold. Thereā€™s so much potential to build on the solid foundation. This is still the very beginning. We are all early adopters even 3/4 years in. Disagree with the comment that thereā€™s only so much space in the market. Itā€™s like saying Uber wont do well because there are loads of taxi companies or that facebook shouldnt bother because there is Bebo and MySpace. Instagram shouldnt bother because there is facebook already. AirBnB becauseā€¦you get the picture, lots of examples. Monzo are disrupting the industry not just entering it. Opportunity isnā€™t finite when you have great leadership, talent and tech, which I believe theyā€™ll continue to attact with the culture they have built. Global FS is a very, very, very big pie to get a slice of - there is lots of upside on the journey towards, and well before, becoming a dominant player alongside HSBC and Barclays. I also dont think this is a race with only one winner - multiple FinTechs can be successful. Furthermore, in my eyes, Monzo wonā€™t be/isnt just a bank. Itā€™s a software company. The plarform can pivot out into all sorts of avenues. Remember the vision is a billion customers.

4 Likes