Feels like the iOS / Android disparity is growing not shrinking

I stopped using Monzo a good few months ago because nothing seemed to be changing on Android, I felt it had just been left behind and iOS was their priority. Not consciously, I just kind of drifted away from it because it just seemed to kind of stop.

At the same time I opened an account with B (Yorkshire Bank) - which as someone pointed out in another thread, is the same 1970s tech with a shiny app. But as an end user, that’s kind of irrelevant because it does the same kind of things as Monzo and Starling do - except the real time notifications. So why have the hassle of having to ‘top-up’ a pre-paid card when there’s a fully functional bank account already out there? The B account was so convenient that I slid into using it full time.

Then my invite for an account from Starling came, which kind of reminded me of all this. I started testing out Starling, which in turn led me to use Monzo again to compare. Monzo is so much better than Starling, in my opinion. The novelty of that circley graph thing wore off quick.

I am excited again for Monzo, and I really want a full account when they start on Android.

But with a few updates (mainly push notifications), B would basically be on a par with Monzo/Starling - especially on Android! This is from an ‘old’ but relatively small bank. Imagine what the big banks with billions upon billions of pounds behind them could do? I wouldn’t go with a big bank ever again - but I do feel that they’re catching up fast and there’s a risk now that the start-ups could be overtaken. :frowning:

The likes of HSBC or Barclays could literally buy in a ton of developers - rip everything off - stick it out there with a multi-million pound ad campaign and the start-ups would be dead in the water - specially Monzo on Android.

That’s my worry. The old banks have definitely realised and are on to this, otherwise the likes of B wouldn’t exist.

2 Likes