Feedback by a Joint Account underdog

I totally agree James, when you’re married for some time, and you split/join everything - financially speaking (like income, debt, investments, expenditures, savings, travels, etc) it makes sense to have a fully featured JA, and a sole account has little to no use.

Even millennials get married and have this type of account eventually.

4 Likes

Everyone uses their accounts differently so that’s not true.

We split everything but my partner doesn’t care what I spend my money on and I don’t care what she spends hers on either.

I like to budget and save for a personal things just like she does. We can then budget together for joint things and have a summary for those separate. So as you can see it makes sense this way too.

5 Likes

Well, I agree with you, I used to be like that before I got married. But since I got married, and we got a mortgage, more responsibility, we’re planning to have kids, etc. Things change. Possibly you’ll have a setup similar to the one I have now in the future.

What I’m trying to say is, with time, your money and her money start mingle together until it’s only your family money.

And the perspective changes, as the main account is the JA, whilst the private account is budgeted as free spend money, where you can do whatevs… What I’m trying to say is, eventually for possibly most people, the JA becomes the main account. And although you still use your private account, in this case, you might rather have the most features on the JA.

1 Like

I’m in exactly the same situation as you. I have a house, kids, mortgage and everything inbetween so I can’t see anything changing :slight_smile:

I understand why it works for you this way but you’re wrong to say everyone will need an account like this eventually.

I’m all for feature parity though :+1:

Edit: Oh you’ve edited your comment, seems like you can relate now :slight_smile: I’d still argue that my personal account gets used more than the joint because all that is automated with direct debits, pots and the budgets are all setup - then anything outside of the budget or planned expenses simply becomes a split bill. EG, new bedding.

But we digress. At least we both agree on wanting feature parity :smiley:

3 Likes

Might as well add loans to this list

1 Like

Your quite correct - seems to be 3 main approaches-

Both use same joint account for everything
Or
Keep personal money and contribute into a joint account - whether that’s split 50/50 or however you so wish.
Or
Don’t bother with a JA just have personal accounts - how you split the bills is worked out between you.

I think it’s all down to personal preference and there is nothing more personal than money & finances.

We use the second option. I earn more so contribute more. My wife also has her money for her - she likes it this way.

2 Likes

Me and my wife have a joint account and made the full switch to Monzo, which completed today. We are both self employed and transfer all of our “wages” from our business account to our joint account. It would be nice to have an overdraft on our joint account to act as a safety net as much as anything else - I can only think of two occasions we have had to use it in the past three years with our previous bank.

My main bug bear with monzo is how confusing and messy the app looks when you have a personal account and joint account with various pots associated to each one. I’ve ended making a transaction on a personal account rather than the joint account and had to transfer money across as i’ve entered the overdraft.

My wish list for joint accounts would be:

• An overdraft feature
  • Cleaner App interface where it’s clearer what account you are making a transaction from (although this might just be because I’m new to Monzo)
  • Love the colour of the cards but an easier way to differentiate between joint and personal account at first glance.

Have you seen the new app design Monzo are working on, this should hopefully help differentiate :slight_smile:

It should be in labs if you’d like to take it for a spin :face_with_monocle:

Do joint accounts have overdrafts yet
Might be easier to ask what are joint accounts missing?

Overdrafts

Plus
IFTTT integration
Your Monzo gamification

are the main missing features.

1 Like

Do interest savings pots work the same as normal?

Yes. :+1:

1 Like

For us it was a joint decision to have kids and for my wife to give up earning and career progression for a few years, so it would hardly be fair for me with my career growing to continue to have my own personal spending.

For a while I used my personal account for “off the books” McDonalds purchasing, but TBH even an occasional secret BigMac is not worth the hassle of changing accounts, so it’s pretty much dormant now.

Just to add to the thread I’m disappointed with the JA too. Neither myself nor partner use the personal account.

What annoys me the most is feature announcements that never arrive on the JA. I particularly have been wanting to expand my savings pots but the new ones never arrived. Even the existing ones I had are closed and can’t be replicated.

I went fully into the JA because I believed Monzo would make money work better for me and my family. Well it’s certainly better than my old bank but it doesn’t live up to the vision on the JA.

2 Likes

Which saving pots are you referring to?

The Investec pot, the first interest bearing one IIRC.

They got rid of Investec ages ago. You now have a choice of providers that are the same on both your current account and joint account :slight_smile:

(apart from ISA pots for obvious reasons)

I’m not sure if “get rid of” is accurate for Investec. I understood they hit risk limits. Since I already hold them I don’t understand why I can’t have more. There’s nothing stopping me putting money in my existing ones that I hold. I just want to split any new deposits into better categories; aka pots.

As to the other newer savings products none are on offer in my JA.

Ok, allow me to rephrase. You can no longer create an Investec pot regardless of whether you had one in the past or have one currently. Here is the announcement:

Instead, Monzo now offer you the choice to use 4 other providers :tada:

As someone who used to have an Investec pot, it made no sense for me to keep it because the newer providers have a better rate. Simply delete your pot, open a new one and add your funds to earn more money :slight_smile:

What providers are showing on your joint account? Off the top of my head Shawbrook, Charter and Oaknorth should be there… They are on my joint account :thinking:

Yes, I’m aware of the announcement. For existing pot users I don’t think the implementation is reasonable. Whether I have £1000 in x3 pots or £3000 in one pot shouldn’t make any difference. Whether I then increase my £3000 to £4000 which in this scenario I would be allowed, or create a new £1000 pot on the same terms shouldn’t make any difference.

None of the new products are available in my JA. I’ve mentioned this many times on the support chat (normally triggered by a new product announcement) but it makes no difference. They just appear closed to me; and it makes the product announcements disingenuous. This is my general complaint with the JA. I always allow a period of time for a feature to appear in the JA but after a while I can only conclude it’s less important than the personal account I don’t use.