Fake Savings Challenge ideas šŸ’”

Hey everyone :bulb:

Time to get your thinking caps onā€¦ :mortar_board:

Youā€™ve probably heard of the 1p Savings Challenge:

And maybe youā€™ve heard of the reverse 1p Savings Challenge:

Thereā€™s even now the Save The Date challenge (where 12th June -> 12+6+19 = 37p saved!)

But whatā€™s next? Weā€™d love to hear your wild and wacky ideas for future savings challenges! Think big :boom:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll go first: the Donald Trump Twitter challenge!

You save Ā£1 each time Trump tweets. Gets more expensive around mid-terms.

4 Likes

Not sure if it would be possible (but would be great when I am revising)

The Pay To Check Your Phone Challenge

Drop 50p into a pot (locked until after exams are over) every time you open your phone when you should be revising!

10 Likes

automagically sweep your left over balance into a savings pot at the end of the month using an IFTTT trigger :slight_smile:

11 Likes

:rofl::100:

Iā€™ve got a few triggers using IFTTT:

Ā£1 into savings a day - every day at 9am
Ā£1 into savings whenever I get a new follower on Twitter, helps me grow my following and my savings
Ā£1 into savings whenever it rains at my home address
Ā£2 whenever my location is at the Dartford Crossing - (my car is on my dadā€™s billing account), so Iā€™m putting into savings the charge as I donā€™t pay it
I have a few for bad habits;
Ā£3 when I buy from either KFC or McDonalds
Ā£5 whenever I deposit money into SkyBet

Iā€™m always open to having more, so any interesting ones in this thread I will surely implement.

The Stop Playing Your Playstation and Go Outside Challenge

Whenever it is more than 12 degrees and sunny outside - if I am logged into my Playstation, charge me 10p a minute to play :rofl:

4 Likes

The ā€˜How many times is Brexit mentioned in the MSM per dayā€™ Save 1p per time Google picks up the word

2 Likes

I donā€™t think I have that much in my accountā€¦ :scream:

2 Likes

:eyes:

3 Likes

*welpā€¦

Looks like it would either:

1. Work and Iā€™d get a 99 on my exams; or
  2. Iā€™d be bankrupt by day 2 of revision!

Save Ā£5 every time you make a comment on the Monzo forums, but for every like you get the amount is reduced by Ā£1. If your comments average 5 likes, you spend nothing to post. Forces you to post meaningful contributions.

(Although I donā€™t have a financial penalty associated with missing it, when I use forums I always ensure my number of likes is > my number of posts because that reassures me Iā€™m providing value with my time)

2 Likes

Everytime I have this thought cycle Iā€™d like to be fined:

1 Like

takes furious notes

5 Likes

10p in a pot based on each mile drivenā€¦ donate it to a charity at the end of the month doing environmental things.

Itā€™d make my commute Ā£4/day :sob:

Would be cool if you could connect with Spotify, and, say, each time you listen to your favourite artist you out Ā£x into a pot for concert tickets

3 Likes

Itā€™d make my drive to/from work Ā£12.50 each way :sob:

I do this manually every month so it would be great if IFTTT could take care of it for me!

1 Like

I have a widget from IFTTT where if I donā€™t take the temptation to buy a bottle of coke or a muffin from the cafe (my two bad habit impulse buys) at my uni, it transfers that money instead to my savings. I see it as I would have spent the money anyway so do I spend it on a 3 minute indulgence or put it into an emergency fund :thinking:

I deduce that either you are eating muffins washed down with coke all day, or you are as rich as Croesus. :joy: