Failed payment with Papa John's Online

Hi there,

Been using my Monzo card for a few days and ran into an issue when trying to use Papa Johns online ordering system. I twice tried using it to make a purchase only to receive an error stating there was an error with the payment (on the papa johns website). On the monzo app I could see the funds being transferred to papa johns then immediately refunded.

That’s a strange one, I’d recommend contacting the support team via the in-app chat or by sending them a DM on Twitter, to find out what’s happened there.

It would be great to hear the explanation :raised_hands:

Is it trying to use MasterCard SecureCode and failing at that point?

Papa John’s defo accepts Monzo cards as I have purchased from them before.

2 Likes

This was all completed via a web browser on my pc btw - I didn’t seem to actually get the mastercard securepay splash screen - after hitting the pay now button the screen seemed to refresh after 1-2 seconds and then displayed in red text that the payment couldn’t be processed - potentially a PJ issue?

That said I paid with my other debit card and this worked fine.

2 Likes

The screen refresh would be the Arcot Systems “3D Secure” page. Maybe for some reason the 3D secure is declining the transaction? (though that would surprise me - officially Monzo doesn’t have 3D secure so I assume it would always approve)

You are kinda right, but it depends… In usual integrations, merchant checks if 3d secure is offered for a card. If yes - they show 3d secure window. If nope - they continue without it. That’s the most common integration logic.

However, some merchants choose to automatically reject transaction if user has a card without 3d secure enabled. After successful 3d secure check, responsibility for fraud is shifted to a bank - if customer claims they didn’t make the purchase, but 3d secure was completed, then merchant doesn’t need to give the money back. I may be oversimplifying, but more or less that’s the whole point of not allowing any transactions without 3d secure enabled & successful.

While I don’t know if that’s the case with Papa John’s, we had some reports that Monzo wouldn’t work with those merchants that force 3d secure (don’t chase me for links, I had seen it scattered in multiple places and I don’t remember keywords to search for). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happened again the other night!

Bizarrely the card also failed earlier today when I tried to make a contactless payment at a train station ticket machine which had previously worked on a couple of occasions.