Expedited delivery for debit cards

I’m not too sure how a card without a sort code, account number or name would work, would it just be a temporary card? Would you be able to invest in a card printing machine which can print a new card with the name and bank details on it? In that case, then I think a couple of ££ is a fair amount to pay for a next day delivery service and maybe £10 for the same day service, which I think is a little pricey, however I know it would be expensive for Monzo and I think it’s good to have the option in case I really needed a card the same day, for example, if I was going abroad in the morning. However, how much of London would you be able to cover, I’m in Essex but within the M25, would that still be covered?

I think that the dual card system that myself and some others have mentioned may be the better route to go down and cheaper for Monzo? I think it would also be a little more convenient as I know as soon as I get home after losing my card I have a spare one, all ready to go.

4 Likes

For me my local Metro is a 5 min walk from my office so I just walk in there at the start of my lunch ask for a new card to be made up get some cash then collect it on my way back to work.

2 Likes

One example I can think of is losing for card before going away especially travelling for long periods!

Maybe you’ve lost your card and you have a hot date that you want to show it off to? :joy:

1 Like

I really like the idea of having a spare that you could enable after freezing and declaring ‘lost’.

This would pretty much resolve the expedited delivery problem, unless someone lost 2 cards in a day or two :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I was thinking the holiday thing, but other cards would still be usable I guess just not at the same great rate as Monzo so yeah point made.

As for a hot date… would it be as hot as the coral coloured card :fire:

1 Like

Yep. I just opened a Metro bank account for the purpose of having them work in tandem - so I can pay in cash etc at Metro Bank.

Unfortunately it looks like this isn’t an option -

1 Like

Ah I see, I didn’t know it was so strict! I also just read that sort codes and account numbers won’t be on any of the cards. So I guess nameless cards isn’t so much of a bad thing after all. However that being said, I still like the idea of having a ‘backup’ or ‘hot spare’ card to prevent myself needed to request a card with expedited delivery :slight_smile:

2 Likes

About £7 seems pretty reasonable for same-day delivery - £10 seems like too much just for a letter.

For next-day delivery of an unpersonalised card, it should be free - sending a letter first class via Royal Mail is about 50p.

Having an in-house personalisation bureau is clearly the way to go though - hopefully within the next 6 months or so? Although the security requirements are stringent, it seems worth doing.

It’d also be great if it was possible to physically pop by the Monzo office to pick up an unpersonalised card - could even have a little vending machine outside available 24/7!

Having a hot spare does seem like a good idea too though

3 Likes

I’d be happy to pay a tenner - but I can’t think of a reason I’d ever need this service. I’ve always had a couple of cards / accounts to fall back on.

1 Like

Following the comments about pricing, perhaps you could let us know whether Monzo will be charging a fee to simply cover the costs of posting the card, rather than to earn revenue (which is Revolut’s approach)?

I assume that the cost will vary but at least if Monzo is providing this service at cost, users can focus on what they’re prepared to pay, rather than what they should be paying.

1 Like

No other “normal” bank charges a customer to be sent their bank/debit card.

As far as I know, that’s correct. But for me, it’s not clear what point you’re trying to make there?

I was just commenting on what you said… “perhaps you could let us know whether Monzo will be charging a fee to simply cover the costs of posting the card”… no other banks (not in the 30+ years that I’ve had a bank account) charge to post out the debit card.

1 Like

Ah ok, I was referring to the cost of expedited delivery, I’m assuming that standard delivery will still be free.

1 Like

Agree - if you want something outside of the norm, then be expected to pay for it - otherwise wait for the standard delivery for free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On back them will. Be

Card vending machine outside the office would be cool idea

I have no interest in my name being on the card. I’m aware that some places refuse to accept cards without a name. Those are places I probably won’t use.
I don’t like the idea of paying even £5 to not have my name on the card. That’s a ridiculous proposal.
What would be useful is if I could pop into the office to pick up a card when needed. Especially if it’s a nameless one.

It was announced that account details won’t be on the cards, unless this has changed in the last few weeks?