Expedited delivery for debit cards

Agree - if you want something outside of the norm, then be expected to pay for it - otherwise wait for the standard delivery for free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On back them will. Be

Card vending machine outside the office would be cool idea

I have no interest in my name being on the card. I’m aware that some places refuse to accept cards without a name. Those are places I probably won’t use.
I don’t like the idea of paying even £5 to not have my name on the card. That’s a ridiculous proposal.
What would be useful is if I could pop into the office to pick up a card when needed. Especially if it’s a nameless one.

It was announced that account details won’t be on the cards, unless this has changed in the last few weeks?

Thanks for all the feedback - exactly what I was looking for!

Going to go through and reply to a few points:

• This wouldn’t be a replacement to the instant issuance of virtual cards via a digital wallet - having that would severely reduce the demand for expedited delivery, but it’s still a different issue
  • Users wouldn’t be charged extra for the nameless card, they would be paying for the quicker delivery. We would still have a stock of these at the office like we do now for people to collect
  • “Next day” is referring to a tracked next day service, while first class tends to get there next day (93% of cases according to Royal Mail) there isn’t any guarantee. I suppose a different option is to offer the choice of named vs nameless cards - one would go via a manufacturer and take 3 days, the other would be sent same day first class like it is now. It generally seemed that people want names on the cards so the ‘standard’ would still be via the factory
  • The option of getting a machine to personalise cards is in the early stages of exploration right now, I went to a visit the Head Architect of Metro Bank with Tom a couple of weeks ago to discuss how they did it - that would be the dream and solve a lot of this! It’s high risk to launch the bank on however so going with a third party is what we’re doing now
  • Having a second card is a great option, the only issue is that it would immediately double card costs overnight (unless we charge for the second card, really don’t want to have lots of little charges in our offering as it detracts for much from the experience) - this hasn’t been excluded but that’s a reason why I’m looking at a few different options and ideas to basically solve the higher level problem of "What happens when a user loses their card, and how do the different situations/users change the need for different levels of service?
  • We wouldn’t be using this as a revenue stream - the prices I picked were for simplicity and I didn’t really want to get into a discussion of £5.50 vs £7 etc. There is a request of us to expedite cards, or offer two cards, I was interested to see if this was still there as much and how people felt when the cost of this service was passed onto the user.

Bit of a brain dump but I hope it gives you a bit of insight into the thinking around this :grinning:

Cheers,
Anthony

14 Likes

Out of curiosity, what is the rough charge for the actual card itself (as opposed to the actual packaging and delivery)? Whilst offering expedited delivery isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it does seem like there are a number of ideas to remove the need for it.

It would be pretty cool to send new customers 2 cards, one with their name on and one without and allow that second card to be pretty versatile, so they could:

1. keep it safe as an emergency backup
  2. have multiple cards simultaneously linked to your account
  3. give it to a friend if they’d lost their card (although they’d have their own backup)
  4. unlink your nameless card from an account and link to another (so you could lend a backup card to a friend whilst they waited on their new one)
  5. give it to a friend who wanted to use Monzo (so they could start immediately whilst they waited the 2-3 days for their named card)
4 Likes

I’d be more than happy to pay for the ability to have more than one card available for me. I’d keep one at work and another at home, just in case.
Although, with Apple/Android Pay coming after current accounts launch it’ll be a rare occasion that I’ll be without a form of payment in either location.

I have to say that I’m not keen on the 2 cards for everyone idea. I feel like it is a lot of waste. There are a few people who want this/would use it, but for most people it would go in a drawer and they’d probably lose track of where they’d put it. That’s a lot of unnecessary plastic use, and I also think it places extra cognitive stress on people. A lot of the people I know would just find it stressful to have another card they have to keep track of, and worry about the security risk of losing it (even if that is a perceived, as opposed to actual, risk).

Overall, I have to say that I’m not particularly concerned about what I’d do if I lost my card. I never have so far, and always assumed that if I do, I will have to wait a week for a new one. But this is not an issue that most people run into on a regular, or even annual, basis. I’ve never considered that expedited delivery of a card would be possible, and am honestly unsure if my current bank would offer this. Monzo are already an improvement here, as they offer to post a replacement card to any address you want (as my wife found out when she lost her card in Paris). Losing a card is an exceptional experience, and I don’t think sending out loads of extra cards to cover for a non-routine issue is the right way to tackle this problem.

That being said, there’s clearly demand from a certain number of users for two cards. If the Monzo team feels there are enough of them out there for this to be something they can spend time on, then it is worth developing this as a feature. This could be a great option if it would allow people to have two active cards, with the possibility of linking/unlinking a nameless one if needed. But this should be on an opt-in basis (e.g. on the card screen in the app, tap a button to request an additional card), as opposed to for everyone.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t need two cards, I don’t see the point in it.

1 Like

You could give 10 spare nameless cards to a set of designated community leaders :stuck_out_tongue: They could then be responsible for distributing geographically when needed - e.g. if Cuvva had an office in Edinburgh, people could drop by and pick one up if needed, kinda like a community branch…

2 Likes

My ideal set of rules…

I’m would be happy for slower delivery, if it’s free. Slower means up to 7 days (add 1 day extra for named card).

I would happily accept additional delivery cost for 1-2 day delivery (add 1 day extra for named card).

If slower and faster delivery have same price, I’d probably choose faster, because I can :rolling_eyes:.
If faster delivery costs me more, I’d probably get cheaper/free slower delivery in most of the cases (unless I’m going for hols in 2 days, then I’ll shower Monzo with money to get my card in time). I’ll never be without spare card, so I can always move money around and use a different card.

I would love expedited delivery anywhere in the world. I’m willing to pay trippled delivery cost, if not more. What I’ll pay in fees + worse FX rates using my high-street bank card is probably a lot more than paying for speedy international delivery. If Monzo offers decent quick process for this, it will make me significantly happier than any good UK-delivery plans.

Overall, I’m a lot more fussed about having option for fast international delivery than premium (or not) UK-delivery. When I’m in UK, I have other options, receiving card quickly is quite irrelevant. No other card (shut up revolut) does what Monzo does abroad, so this area is the most critical for me.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Only real frustration I’ve had with monzo so far/time it’s felt like a legacy bank is when I’ve lost my card and had to order a new one. I think it’s first class but it still takes 2 or 3 days. In the meantime I have to use another account which messes up my spending report/monthly budget.

I’d like more options to get a card faster - next day standard with 2 hour courier option. Since the card is just a store of information I also want a way to get this updated instantly digitally. Android pay? Would be nice if the card could just be another format for the data not just the only place it’s stored. Although no need for the cards to have the same number I suppose - just linked to the same account.

Yes I know this costs more and there are technical hurdles printing cards etc, but so is everything else monzo is doing.

1 Like

I’ve lost my card twice with Monzo. The first time I reported it mid afternoon and it made the last post. I received my new card next morning. The second time was early evening so I guess it caught the next day’s post and arrived 2 days after reporting it missing. Much quicker than my legacy bank on both occasions.

EDIT: Actually I now recall that it was Monzo COps who told me that I’d lost the first card. They’d issued me a new one before I knew I’d lost it :smile:

This has been discussed few times

This is a bit off topic for this thread, but does your Android Pay card keep working if you lose your card or it expires? On Apple Pay it does which is really handy, one of my credit cards expired last month and the new one hasn’t shown up yet, but on Apple Pay it keeps on working.

I was wondering this too - if there was any way Apple / Android Pay could continue to work while a new card was issued it could make things a bit more seamless.

(If it could work before you received your first card that’d be pretty neat too)

A very quick google search came up with this result (in short if physical card is lost virtual card will still work)

Natwast website says;

What happens if the card I have added to Android Pay™ is lost or stolen?

If your card is lost or stolen, you need to report it to us, so we can cancel the card and order a replacement.

When you add a card to Android Pay, a virtual account number replaces your card details. For this reason, you can continue to pay with Android Pay while you wait for your replacement card to arrive.

When you receive the replacement card, we recommend that you remove the lost or stolen card from Android Pay and add your replacement card to it. If you do not do this, you will be able to pay with the lost or stolen card on Android Pay until its expiry date.

https://supportcentre.natwest.com/Searchable/913224012/What-happens-if-the-card-I-have-added-to-Android-Pay-is-lost-or-stolen.htm

1 Like

On the developer Slack channel, Tristan confirmed that Monzo will auto update card details on Android Pay if someone loses their card. :+1:

6 Likes