Early Payment Screen - I would like to turn it off!

It’s cool and all to get my salary a day early, but going through the animation screen every single time is annoying.

Can you please give me the option to enable it by default without going through the entire process again and again?

I also use a cashback service and get lots of small deposits at a time, which means that I can do the animation 4 to 6 times every time I get a cashback.

Please give me the option to disable the confetti animation.

1 Like

I mean you have two options:

1. Suffer the arduous task of claiming early
  2. Don’t do it and wait a whole day for the money

If it’s all small deposits, I can’t imagine that extra day will make that much of a difference, tbh. You’re hardly missing out on thousands of pounds of interest.

I highly doubt Monzo will introduce the facility to auto-get-paid-early.

6 Likes

Having it automatically has been discussed to death, it’s unlikely to happen.

If it helps the torture, you don’t have to drag and can just tap the wallet. But if you don’t want to watch half a second of confetti, you can just wait for the next day.

5 Likes

As @Revels said, it’s unlikely to happen. It’s a Monzo marketing gimmick, and something they are keen on. Other banks do it without any fuss if it is that annoying.

1 Like

Well i voted because i couldnt agree more.

The reason provided was for load management. There is a solution to that, randomise the time so some people get paid early at 4.01 and some at 4.15 etc

I dont think there would be too many complaints with that.

Maybe even make it part of plus as an additional incentive

It may be a gimmick and nice to do for example at halloween with the little trick or treat variation but i dont see why monzo couldnt remove the screen if say youve already went through the process >5 times.

Lets face it it loses its awe after a while (i for example used it 17 times this year) and dont pay it a second thought anymore.

It could be just the clicking get paid early button makes it happen and that would be an improvement

4 Likes

Absolutely they could. I just don’t think they will.

There would be a boatload of complaints! “I got paid last month at 4PM, Monzo is withholding my money and I need to feed my 8 kids!!!”

I think it’s more likely that it goes away completely. It must be a huge drain on support. Every month people join here and ask because they can’t read and they all blame Monzo because they’ve used the feature once and now expect it.

3 Likes

I don’t get that. The load will be greater overnight. Or are the staggering individuals’ payments during the night?

Personally, I think that (optional) auto payment at 4pm for Plus would be a good extra. For free customers, you can always just tap the wallet to avoid pulling down the money.

2 Likes

I simply don’t understand how Get Paid Early can be profitable for Monzo, considering the amount of support inbound it clearly generates.

1 Like

Well i know personally i have 2 scheduled daily payments and these action at 1:57am and 2:01am every night/morning.

I assume the reason its set to these times for the same reason why im suggesting that everyone would get “auto paid early” at different varying times between say 4pm-5pm the day before payday, the manage the load?

E.g if i knew id get autopaid at 4:27pm everytime i wouldnt care that i could theoretically claim it 27 mins earlier

Then they’d have to load manage the amount of support queries and forum posts coming their way at 1601 about why they didn’t get their money early now they can’t pay at the till they’ve been at since 1555

Or whatever reason people make up when they come here to demand pay early

3 Likes

This could be mitigated by updating the strings in app to update the “come back at x to claim early” text to show the real time that their pay would come in, be that 4:10 or 4:12 or 4:15 :man_shrugging:

People dont message support at 12:01 and ask where there pay is at the minute because theyre now used to it to it coming at a set time.

I think the same could be true if get paid early became regular and at a set time.

1 Like

They probably do though, judging by some of the comments!

3 Likes

I don’t get this either. Barclays pay me 24 hours early, on the dot at midnight, every single time without fail.

Although i don’t mind the animation, despite my preference for something like this to be automatic, I do think users should be able to disable the fancy animations as an accessibility thing.

In the focus groups I’ve taken part in, I’ve learned that it’s a lack of consistency that leads to complaints with stuff like this.

I’d wager that the mere fact Monzo market this as a feature is why it leads to complaints. If it was just done, transparently, in the background, for eligible payments, and the time was consistent, there would be very few complaints.

People tend to worry when the experience alters slightly from the usual and expected. In that heightened, anxious frame of mind, they’re going to be hunting down that live chat button like it’s a chicken drumstick in the midst of a KFC chicken shortage.

The manual approach in theory should mitigate much of this, but it doesn’t, and I suspect it’s for this reason. Some times my upcoming payments for Monday will appear in my feed on Thursday with a message to come back on Friday at 4pm. Other times they won’t show up until some point Friday morning. When I get used to seeing it on Thursdays, then one day it’s not there, I do get anxious that my money hasn’t gone through. It always has shown up, but it doesn’t stop that feeling.

Although I know better than to go panicking to support and instead wait for the actual pay date to arrive, I can fully sympathise why many people will do that, particularly those living paycheck to paycheck, relying on this feature to get them by, because it’s very existence has shifted their budgeting period.

3 Likes

This is the problem. The people that complain aren’t doing so because Monzo have done something wrong. They think they have, so that’s why they end up here.

This turned out to be a faster payments because it was Christmas.

:exploding_head:

They’re all have the same theme running through them and it’s not Monzo’s fault in any of them. Making it auotmatic wouldn’t have paid these people, so they’d still be here complaining.

Making it automatic at 4:00pm or staggering it won’t change people complaining that their faster payment hasn’t appeared.

3 Likes

Oh wow, these are painful to read… it’s not really the user’s fault but there needs to be financial education to make sure as few people live paycheck to paycheck as possible.

And I’m sure it wasn’t the intention from Monzo but this made people reliant on their service so they can’t switch away now (at least not so easily)

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone in this thread said that they can’t survive the extra 24 hours if they couldn’t get their money early.

I’ve been a customer since 2018 and have been a plus member multiple times, I think the choice of whether I want to go through the fancy animation should be left up to me.

I’ve done it 33 times in the last year.

Yeah it’s cute and all, but watching it over and over again is annoying and unnecessary.

Not in this thread, but from all the posts that appear here on various paydays it’s clear that people will be bankrupted if they don’t get their money early (or they like to say they will)

I think it’s just sad all round

2 Likes

I have my salary paid into a high street bank but I can never tell if they’re releasing money on the payday or releasing the money early. That’s because my employer doesn’t 100% commit to a specific payday. It just says I will be paid during the last week of the month.

Maybe the way my employer does things is abnormal, but do your employers commit to a specific payday enabling you to validate that banks are releasing funds early?

1 Like

Technically speaking, I am one of my employers, and I pay myself consistently every 4th Monday via BACS, which Barclays provide to me on the Friday before. Other employers both now and in the past are quite consistent too.

1 Like