Does anyone else use pots to ration out weekly spending?

One of the most useful ways Monzo has changed my spending and awareness of it is by allowing me to set pots for week 1, week 2, week 3 and week 4 (and then holding my breath from week 4 to pay day). It has really helped put into perspective my fun money and stopped me going too short at the end of the month.

The only issue is it doesn’t really play nice with the summary feature and makes the graph (even more?) useless. it would be great to be able to include some pots into my spending. Appreciate this might not be standard application of the pots though. Anyone else use it this way?

3 Likes

Yep. I try to transfer 2 weeks budget over at a time and put the 2nd weeks into a pot. Another pot for direct debits.
The only thing it plays nice with is targets

I used to do this but it didn’t really work because I didn’t have the financial discipline to employ this method.

I now name my pots based on my budgets. For example my pots are called ‘Eating Out’, ‘Personal Care’ etc.

@Tjenkinson in another thread I will be expanding on this. I’ll tag you and I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I did this before going to LA for 6 weeks to control my weekly budget whilst there, but I haven’t done it whilst at home.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.