Dodl by AJ Bell - investment app šŸ“ˆ

Inspired me to do some digging in my own Nutmeg LISA :microscope:. Paid Ā£39.89 total fees in the 2 years of having this account (not bad, they have to operate a sustainable business plus they actively manage the portfolio) and my current monthly fee is Ā£3.20/month so tracking around Ā£40/year. :pound:

So with Dodl at 0.15%, Iā€™ll personally save Ā£25+ a year at my current LISA value once they enable transfers over. The more we get to keep in our pockets via lower fees and higher returns the better as compounding interest/fees works both ways.

Has anyone else dug into their account platform fees and potential for savings to be made elsewhere?

1 Like

If I try to invest monthly in a Lifestrategy, it only lets me buy whole shares. Same for you? May be different if you just do a one off purchase

Ah really? Yes, by investing one off it allowed me to buy fractional shares of Vanguard Lifestrategy 80%. In iOS donā€™t have ability to invest monthly at the moment, but Iā€™d be surprised if it was only whole shares for investing monthly.

2 Likes

Hmm, the app is definitely trying to make me buy in whole shares for invest monthly on android. Iā€™ll check with CS what the deal is. They say they donā€™t do fractional shares, but that seems to be what youā€™ve done :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah hereā€™s my first purchase of Ā£50 that bought me 0.1948 shares:

Do let us know what customer support say :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes

Will probably move my cash LISA at Moneybox into a S&S LISA with Dodl. Looks promising.

2 Likes

Chatting to CS has been like trying to communicate with another planet. Maybe itā€™s me being useless, but I canā€™t get any sense out of them. They keep banging on about whether Iā€™ve accepted the investor key information or not.

I tried uploading screenshots, but I canā€™t allow the app to access storage - there are no permissions listed under app settings.

Hmmm.

Not that thereā€™s any great hurry for me, as they still havenā€™t got Lisa transfers in android yet

This is what I get

2 Likes

Hmm, I think this is either a bug, or buy design for investing monthly specifically. As their FAQs does say ā€˜for shares, they donā€™t have fractional sharesā€™ which Iā€™d interpret to mean on the 50 U.K. individual shares available that this applies.

Clearly Vanguard 80% is a fund so you shouldnā€™t be seeing this error, bit odd. My second thought is maybe itā€™s to do with available cash in your account, but then even still the error message doesnā€™t make sense.

Iā€™m stumped, Iā€™m sure the answer is somewhere but itā€™s not great CS isnā€™t a better experience at this early stage of probs low thousand of users.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it must be a bug or poor workflow because Iā€™ve purchased a fraction just fine manually.

If it requires money to be in your account first, thatā€™s a bit silly, as obviously I want to do monthly deposits. I thought it might send me to the direct debit workflow, which would make more sense. Or am I supposed to know I have to set up a direct debit first?

Iā€™ve also seen in the FAQ that they recommend keeping enough in cash to cover your monthly fees. Now that is not great, particularly if like me you want to set up a monthly amount and forget about it. It sounds like itā€™ll require periodic interaction, which Iā€™m not keen on. Or over-depositing or something. Iā€™d rather they took fees by separate direct debit or selling a fraction.

Havenā€™t heard back from CS, so will see what they do with my screenshotsā€¦

I think thereā€™s great potential, but still finding its way it seems

2 Likes

Turns out itā€™s a bug :ant: that will be fixed soon. Thank goodness.
Also, side note, my 2 interactions with customer support so far have been quick and effective.

2 Likes

They must have had this from a few people, as they came back to me with an almost identical reply.

I think the CS rep I contacted went down the wrong route, treating it as user error, when I think my message was pretty clear and explicitā€¦ Anyway - teething problems, as one would expect

3 Likes

Just to say that this now works for me as expected. Iā€™ve got a monthly direct debit set up buying a fraction of the 80% Lifestrategy.

Just waiting for transfers to move my cash Lisa in and then hopefully I can forget about it till Iā€™m retiring :joy:

1 Like

Nice, similar story here. Starting off with Ā£100/month direct debit, rest manual top ups on payday.

Is it possible to transfer-in a Cash LISA to an Investment LISA? Thought they had to be the same type. Iā€™ll be transferring my Nutmeg Investment LISA as soon as they make it possible.

1 Like

Yes, it is supposed to be possible. There are problems if youā€™re over 40 (or used to be problems?), because you couldnā€™t technically open a new account. Massively poor design. I wonder if thatā€™s sorted now thoughā€¦

The main issue is that so few providers actually have the facility. Presumably itā€™s just not very attractive or profitable, as transfers between providers are supposed to be free of charge (though obviously the cost must be factored in to rates etc.).

The weird thing with Lisas is that you canā€™t pay in to a cash and a stocks and shares in the same year - in contrast to the standard isa. So if you canā€™t transfer, youā€™d end up paying into each type in alternate years only :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s another problem with the monthly invest setup. Dodl tried to do this monthā€™s purchase before the first direct debit.

I got a nice message from CS letting me know the purchase had failed, but really I just expected any purchase to happen when the direct debit clears :man_shrugging:

Not really a problem we shouldnā€™t know about as they do highlight this when you set up the direct debit for the first time, but granted itā€™s not the cleanest user experience as a lot of people will be caught out but this for their very first monthly schedule investment:

Annoying but not a deal breaker.

Also as a heads up to keep Ā£1 floating around in available cash in time for this date:

Yeah, this is also unnecessary friction.

1st Dodl account fee came outā€¦ and 1st Gov Lisa bonus came through, actually forgot this is the whole reason I have an investment LISA account till I saw this, so Iā€™m no longer in the red :chart_with_downwards_trend:. Back to having more money in the account than I put in :chart_with_upwards_trend:

Still waiting for transfers-in of existing Lisa accounts :soon:

Who are you transferring in from, if you donā€™t mind sharing?

1 Like

Nutmeg. Just to clarify havenā€™t started the process yet, just waiting on them to activate the feature. Theyā€™ve removed the button from the app, probs best until itā€™s actually ready.

Do you hold a LISA anywhere and would you transfer it? @Peter_G

1 Like