Doctor Who

I second that!!!

So, 5 episodes in… How are we all feeling about this current season?

I thought the first three episodes were all absolutely stellar. A little bit of a dip in quality in Episodes 4 & 5, but very much looking forward to Episode 6!

1 Like

I liked episode 5 :see_no_evil: I feel like that sort of break is needed.

Episode 4 terrified me.

Ep 1 and 2 were a bit meh, and 3 is my favourite so far.

1 Like

Wasn’t a fan of the third, felt like a history lesson but loved the second. Haven’t seen the 4th or 5th but they’ll be watched at some stage this week

Pretty sure Chibnall means there “won’t be a season arc” in the sense that each episode stands alone so you won’t be completely lost if you have religiously followed every second of the last two seasons.

The Stenza references don’t necessarily contradict this. They’re a nice trail for people who are following every episode, and they’re not taking over every episode to the extent that anyone who drops in late is going to feel confused and excluded.

Caveat: I am slightly behind and only just watched the Rosa Parks episode last night (I very strongly liked it), so hopefully the two episodes since don’t contradict what I’ve said enough to make me look like an idiot.

2 Likes

Like the bad wolf references with the 10th doctor?

2 Likes

Almost exactly that!

I even very nearly said so, but thought that would be both over-egging the point and confusing things slightly (the latter given that the ‘Bad Wolf’ references were so badly shoehorned in, while the Stenza hints are more naturally inserted).

1 Like

I’m impressed how Jodie seems to doing, had reservations she wouldn’t be as good as she is, I also had the same thoughts about the 3 assistants especially Bradley, just didn’t think he would fit into the role.

Not sure I’ve got a favourite episode yet.

1 Like

Rosa and Arachnids in the UK have been the highlights so far. Last night’s was good, although a few people I know weren’t fans of the you’ve-got-to-keep-the-baby moral lesson.

1 Like

I’m still gutted they killed off the nan in the first episode, she’d have made a fantastic companion

2 Likes

I didn’t feel like that was the lesson. I felt it was more about Ryan relating to not being ready to be a dad given his relationship with his own.

3 Likes

Given that we’d known for months who the companions would be, I spent a large part of the first episode thinking “Huh, that actor hasn’t been in any of the press or promo at all. Clearly they’re not going to be a recurring companion. How are they going to sort that out? Probably kill them off, I guess. Are they going to die now? How about now? Maybe now? Ooh! Now? Can’t be long now…” :rofl:

2 Likes

Thought it might be like a Jackie Tyler or Wilf situation where they’d keep coming back to Earth and she’d feature again

I’m with you, it put a smile on my face. ^^ I seem to be the minority in my circle though.

@Rat_au_van: and the nan could’ve at least died doing something meaningful. Instead she dies doing something that turns out to be unnecessary (unless I forgot something).

1 Like

I was too cynical to consciously think of that possibility. Perhaps I subconsciously thought that would be going “full RTD” and that Chibnall would want to plough his own furrow instead.

1 Like

I liked the first episode and the episode about Rosa parks but other than that have been pretty bored by the new series. The only thing that keeps me watching it really is Bradley Walsh.

The pace just seems so slow and I’m getting bored for the same reason Peter Capaldi’s doctor bored me

Initially I was impressed. Five episodes in and she hasn’t really developed much as the doctor. I think we were very spoilt by David Tennant and Matt Smith though so it is very hard to top those. Capaldi suffered from the same problem in my opinion too and wasn’t that great. The stories so far this season though have been a bit better but I would like to see some more hard hitting episode’s be shown this season like Don’t Blink.

1 Like

I’m rewatching and just got to don’t blink :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Eldest was obsessed by that one. Used to watch it every day at least 4 times for about 3 months. Even now we randomly quote lines at each other

I’m going to be a stickler here. The episode title is Blink, not don’t blink. Just Blink…

6 Likes