Disputes and chargebacks

What @jzw95 is partially correct, so I’d like to clear the air.

The standard process of a dispute with Monzo is:

1. Customer contacts us to dispute a transaction.
  2. We investigate and determine if there are the grounds for a chargeback.
  3. We request for more information (receipts, proof of communication with the merchant, etc).
  4. We initiate the chargeback via Wirecard (our prepaid card issuer).
  5. There is a 45 day period during which the other party (the merchant) can appeal.
  6. The chargeback is successful or not successful (money gets credited back to the Monzo card or not).

Sometimes between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and/or 3 and 4, customers understand that after all their dispute can be solved directly with the merchants (for example: claiming back the fee for a cancelled Uber journey, or getting a refund for a broken item delivered by Amazon - these are easily solved without the need of a chargeback).

Now - this is very important and I think it hasn’t been mentioned clearly enough: in case of fraudulent transactions, we immediately reverse the payments and cover the losses, and replace the card. Then we report those via Mastercard SAFE.
So if it is established that your card was stolen or cloned and used fraudulently, we offer total and immediate protection of your losses.

Case scenarios:

• If the pizza you ordered got delivered 1 hour late and was cold and you want to raise a dispute via Monzo, we may suggest you to phone the pizza shop and ask for a refund before starting a chargeback.
  • If you bought some shoes online and they never got delivered to you and the seller is unresponsive, we will fight for you and get that money back. It may take up to 8 weeks, though.
  • If your card was stolen and used contactless to pay for fuel and groceries before you could freeze it, we will refund you straight away and send you a replacement.

In your particular case, @chris.monzo (I believe you were chatting with me yesterday via the support chat) - I am not sure what kind of dispute you were/are referring to, as my understanding was that the payment you wanted to dispute hadn’t taken place just yet. But feel free to reply to that conversation via the in-app chat if you have any updates on the issue, and we can take another look at it.

17 Likes