Disney Plus - General Discussion

Has it been confirmed that Disney even has all the rights to launch with everything in the UK? Right now it looks like Sky have tied up all the streaming rights as Now TV is full of Disney content.

Well put

There’s too much fragmentation and it’s just going to increase password sharing.

UK release date went live this morning! March 31st, I for one will still use a VPN for The Mandalorian next week but still great to finally have a release date.

Does that work? I’ve Disney is really clamping down on people using VPNs

I’ll let you know when it goes live, it should do though, there’s no reason for it to not work. Unless they check location via payment cards rather than IP location.

As soon as I get connected(or fail to get connected), I’ll post back here the results :slight_smile:

I really hope it works! I can’t wait till March for The Mandalorian

1 Like

I just tried and failed at signing up for an account, you need a US Debit/Credit card to do it :frowning:
I even tried signing up for a US Paypal account and sending it money to pay via Paypal Balance but you can’t even pay with Paypal balance unless you have a US card attached to the account.

I’ll keep searching for a way to do it, however, right now i’m disappointed

I was reading a bit into why it is delayed in the UK and a lot of it seems to be rumoured due to legacy contracts they have for some of their content with Sky. When they expire next year we could see a launch.

Yh it’t to do with Sky & Netflix mainly, they need those contracts to expire before they can put them on Disney+, makes sense but still incredibly annoying.

Great news - I have a US debit card with HSBC :grinning:

Could try making a US account with TransferWise and then using the US account details that the app produces for you ? :man_shrugging:t2:

I won’t be joining as not a Disney fan, but to check as it is mentioned in the op, are all 20th Century Fox movies going over too or just some of them?

I’ve successfully signed up for an account. This is the method I used…

• Create a brand new US or Netherlands Paypal account
  • When Paypal asks for an address use fake address generator for a US or Netherlands address and phone number
  • For payment method on the PayPal account I tried my Monzo card, but this failed authentication in Paypal so instead I used my American Express UK Card - this passed authentication in Paypal for both Netherlands and US Paypal accounts.
  • Verify your Paypal email address - I used the dot trick in my gmail account to have another email address
  • Next you need a VPN account, Disney appear to have some clever technology here so I tried my Windscribe VPN on US and Netherlands servers but it didn’t work, I also tried a few others without luck but in the end I used xVPN which allowed me to both sign up and stream* Disney content (*streaming was tested using the Netherlands one as the US one doesn’t launch til Tuesday)
  • Connect your VPN to a Netherlands or US server - I found Netherlands8 worked well and so did USVideoH on xVPN
  • Create an account at disneyplus.com and sign up with your PayPal account as above.

Saves waiting until March 31st - but a bit of work involved!

2 Likes

Thank you for your method. I was able to use it cut out a few steps as I have a Bunq Travel Card. (Bunq is a Dutch bank so card number works in the Credit Card fields).

• […] I used xVPN which allowed me to both sign up and stream* Disney content (*streaming was tested using the Netherlands one [as its currently free until next week and] as the US one doesn’t launch til Tuesday)
  • Connect your VPN to a Netherlands […] - I found Netherlands8 worked well […] on xVPN
  • Create an account at disneyplus.com and [link your Bunq travel card].

:grin:

I am sharing an account with a US friend.

My DNS service now supports Disney+ so all being well it should just be a case of updating my Pi config file to re route certain traffic to my DNS service and then it should all be working on my ATV tomorrow and my android phone and amazon boxes.

No VPN needed and whole family should be able to watch.

Bring on the Mandalorian in glorious 4K tomorrow!

I’ve used Windscribe for mine and it’s fine, however, I did use an American friends card and address for payment as i couldn’t overcome that hurdle.

Don’t suppose you’ve got a quick guide to Disney+ ATV working?

Quick - No it needs a DNS service, a raspberry Pi, Pi hole, a special config file then some router settings changed.

Once that is done then it needs a separate apple tv account in the US to download the app but then you sign in a job done.

I love this setup though also works for DAZN so I get all football matches and the US Netflix on any device in the house even tv’s without a VPN.

1 Like

Yh i shouldn’t of used the word quick, I’ve got a Pi, i’m a web dev so quite a techy guy, was there a tutorial or something online you used to do any of it or is it a self made rig?

That sounds ace, a bit jealous

1 Like

Create a US iTunes account to download the app onto Apple TV. Then see if your VPN provider has settings to use on your broadband router.

1 Like

Which server did you use for Windscribe?