Discord

Because there’s a huge market of users that use it. Gamers, twitch users, all sorts of young people.

Fine but what is it?

1 Like

It’s like one huge group chat that you joined and now hundreds of people are all shouting at the same time and you haven’t got a clue what’s going on.

This just isn’t true.

So, what is it?

1 Like

Again, how would a messy, hard to moderate and follow, loud discord server help Monzo avoid “staring down the barrel”?

What would the average person who hasn’t heard of Monzo, let alone of a Monzo discord server gain from it?

And what would I, someone who follows Monzo and fintech stuff pretty much daily, get from it (apart from a headache)?

3 Likes

It can be popular with gamers or anyone else, but that won’t change the fact that it’s really hard to have constructive, easy to follow discussions in an unthreaded dump of steam-of-consciousness comments.

You couldn’t catch up on what you missed, and you couldn’t follow the discussion you were a part of.

1 Like

Thanks. And how does it help Monzo, having live chat 24/7, other than “it’s a place with loads of young people”?

And how does Monzo ensure there’s no hate speech, or illegal activity, like insider trading or conspiring to launder money, going on?

3 Likes

It’s really not a good look to try and quote staff and lie about what they’ve said.

To save people hunting, this is the exchange he’s referencing;

2 Likes
  1. You could employ bots for one thing, to regulate the forum. That would save on a lot of needless repeated questioning and answering which appears to happen a lot on here, and gets moaned about.

2. It would therefore not necessarily be “loud”, I don’t know why this keeps getting repeated again and again in this thread (apart from to disparage in the typical toxic Monzo forum way), discord servers are entirely dependent on their user bases and their setup.

3. Monzo would be showing itself to be present with the young, new-to-banking user. Is there not value in that.

Other than “it’s a place with loads of young people” was the question.

2 Likes

This is just so unnecessary. How am I lying by saying that Theo partly agreed with me. It’s not a lie, you literally proved it yourself :sweat_smile: This is also completely off-topic

It’s just another post where you’re wrong, that’s all.

Pretty easy to monitor with bots.

“Other than a place with loads of young people”? What could be more important to Monzo than attracting new, motivated young users? People usually stay loyal to their bank. It seems pretty remiss if attracting new and young customers to Monzo isn’t a priority

So it’s a marketing tool to attract that demographic on Discord. OK cheers.

I’d question your assumptions that young people on Discord are motivated banking customers, and that the best thing for Monzo right now is to prioritise that demographic over, say, wealthier older customers who will deposit more, and that Discord is in fact the right place to reach out to young people if they are indeed the priority.

Is there any other business reason, other than “it’s full of young people” for Monzo to use this particular tool?

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Personal feeling is that the flagging has got a bit out of control, and a bit too much in one direction, on this topic

I have not had the show and tell on sorting out flags (and whether I can and how much I should), so I’ll leave the topic closed until a better placed moderator swings by

6 Likes

Thanks so much for swooping in on this one Michael.

For clarity, we don’t have any intention of starting a Monzo Discord but I’ve made sure the suggestion is passed on to our team. It’ll rise or fall on the discussions heard internally and some valid points raised here in the Pro and Con columns.

Going to have to highlight that disagreements are going to take place on Topics that are raised but lets try and not turn these into attacks on other Community members. It’s not going to be accepted and isn’t going to benefit anyone.

Keeping the Topic closed in the meantime.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.