Direct Debit manual switching

Wierd… my TVL went through easily last month. How could they have broken a perfectly working system?

There’s always a way if you look hard enough :wink:

2 Likes

We pay for our TV license for the past 2 months via DD and we changed it online and it’s been fine. Very odd that they have gone backwards when they clearly have customers paying

Very odd indeed. I am sure someone must have put a wrong floppy :floppy_disk: and instead of an update system got a downgrade.

1 Like

My latest reply from TV Licensing :persevere:

We can’t set up a Direct Debit under this account, this has nothing to do with our system.
There’s an issue with your sort code and this is stopping us being able to set up a Direct Debit.
Please speak to your bank as some accounts aren’t able to accept Direct Debit and your bank account under this sort code may be one of them.
If you’ve got access to another bank account we may be able to set up a Direct Debit with a different one.

That’s ridiculous! You might want to ask them how is it that many other Monzo users were previously able to set up their DD payments?

It seems that you have to snail mail to make a formal complaint:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/making-a-complaint-AB7

I’ve just asked them. I’ve also told them all of my other Direct Debits come from this account and offered to contact BACS to see if there’s anything they can do to help TV Licensing use a valid sort code.

3 Likes

I’ve been having issues with TV Licencing as well.

After their site refused to take my details, I sent them a message through their site asking them to look into it for me and get back to me. Yesterday I got this…

We have been unable to update your new Direct Debit details as sort code you have provided is invalid.

In order to continue paying for your TV Licence by Direct Debit, please provide me with your correct sort code.

The implication that I’ve got something wrong didn’t sit very well with me so I sent them back a more insistent email explaining that it was a real sort code, my details are all valid and that I do expect them to fix this. I also let them know they can verify the sort code online and see proof of the ability for it to handle direct debits.

I don’t appreciate any company/service provider telling me what bank I can and can’t use so if I get no joy I will have no problem in turning my inquiry into a complaint.

I await their response…

As an aside, TV Licencing are the only company I’ve had this problem with and I haven’t got many DDs left to do…

1 Like

Usually your best recourse at this point is to have a chat with BACS directly.

I’ll probably do both to be honest. Hoping it doesn’t come to that though.

Touch wood, but I’ve managed to change the various charitable contributions easily, as well as my home insurance with Barclays and pet insurance with Sainsburys, all good.

If it helps send them screenshot with Monzo Sort Code - I can share my TVL account number if they really want to check that it was actually set-up with 04-00-04 and it’s active

TVL

2 Likes

Brilliant, thanks. I’m hoping that after yesterday’s message, they’re going to take the time to actually look into it before coming back to me but if not, this is one more piece of evidence for them.

Incredible that they had it working and then somehow lost support…

Having difficulty with Aviva direct debit
DB55D4A8-1E3F-4292-92EE-2F5BFA067A1B

Monzo can give you a letter confirming the account (they even have a stamp!). It’s a very odd request though for a simple direct debit.

3 Likes

Thanks Tony. I have messaged Monzo with the same screenshot. :):slightly_smiling_face:

Well, well, well.

I’ve just TV Licensing phone me up to set up my Direct Debit for me. Apparently the problem was ‘a new bank account’. No idea what that means. I should receive a confirmation email ‘soon’.

We’ll see.

1 Like

Good to hear :+1: perhaps the fact they’re getting the same request from several places is finally making an impact.

I’m still waiting back to hear about mine… but if they try phoning, it probably won’t work because I get no signal in the office here at work. I’m hoping they just do it and confirm by email, which is what I asked for in the first place.

Conversely I had zero issues with setting up my DD with them. Is that a pension or another product?

Was a Pension product. The Aviva car insurance seems to have worked without a hitch weirdly.

:thinking: