Depositing Cash via Paypoint Doesn't Work

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not a heavy cash person. I’ve been having a clear out and have sold some stuff.

I’m not going to start being one of those people standing at a checkout arguing with the manager how I know his systems better than he does and in fact it’s not broken and it does work. So forget that.

If Monzo doesn’t want people to be using cash that’s fine - but to offer a service that people cannot use because of ‘reasons’ isn’t really good enough. Having yet another bank account so I can deposit cash as some sort of clever workaround hack doesn’t really sound like it will make my life easier.

Complaining here isn’t really making my life easier either - I’m hardly going to make Monzo realise that Paypoint is (quell surprise) actually not good as they very definitely know it sucks. I guess the point I want to make is that something that matters to me doesn’t matter to my bank and that switching banks is probably the only real answer - just not the one I want.

3 Likes

Mine worked fine the other week. Had £600 to deposit. Done it at £300 a time, due to limits. Was in my account within 5 minutes.

Go to another shop there must be more than 2 shops near you that are PayPoint…

If your purpose is to effect change, complaining to Monzo might be a better option.

If you want to start a debate, or get quick (but possibly inaccurate) information, posting here works best.

1 Like

Not sure I understand the massive defence of Monzo here, yes it’s not actually because of them but bad news travels faster then good.

There maybe more people that unlike the OP don’t post on a forum but tell there friends or family not to get a Monzo card and the negative image that gives.

OP is right, if your parcel goes missing it’s on the company you brought from to refund you and sort it out to me using paypoint is the same, Monzo should be sorting these issues out.

Not going to bang on the same drum but I no longer recommend Monzo because they don’t take cash and cheque in a common sense way. You may only need to use it once or twice a year but it’s a hassle you can avoid with starling.

3 Likes

This is a terrible comparison and doesn’t even make sense.

What you’re trying to say is that if you need to return a parcel to Nike, it’s their fault the post office is shut?

I don’t find it to be a massive selling point for Starling tbh. You can do the cheque imaging or post office deposits with other High Street banks (as well as utilise branch service) and the app won’t be an awful lot worse

It’s not a massive selling point for Starling in general, but it is a massive selling point for Starling v Monzo.

1 Like

No they aren’t. They are saying that if your parcel from Nike doesn’t arrive, it is down to Nike to sort it out, in the same way that Monzo chose Paypoint as its cash handling agent so Monzo is responsible for any issues arising.

8 Likes

So Monzo are responsible for making sure the money gets to your account. Which it will if the shop staff do their job.

They aren’t responsible for staff who aren’t trained properly or can’t be bothered to use it. Or don’t want to because it costs them money.

OP, maybe try reporting the shop that said no to PayPoint.

https://corporate.paypoint.com/customer-service-policy/resident-in-uk

Don’t think they really want cheques either… No sign of my cheque - #71 by HoldenCarver

Seems they just want you to do things that don’t cost them any money

1 Like

Yes. And when it doesn’t, for whatever reason, Monzo are responsible.

They had a choice. They chose Paypoint.

It may not be their fault that problems occur, but it is their responsibility.

9 Likes

The arguments for and against have been done to death and beyond.

If someone wants to deposit cash via the P.O then Monzo isn’t for them, if someone wants cheque imaging then Monzo isn’t for them.

It doesn’t matter what gets discussed as nothings changing anytime soon.

4 Likes

If Monzo says a customer can do something, they go to a supported location and the cash isn’t paid in - it doesn’t work.

It doesn’t matter whether or not the capability is there. It makes zero difference to the average customer.

4 Likes

Why can’t Monzo just go the post office route, like virtually every other bank?

It’s the one contention point that I’ve found driving folks towards starling when they otherwise liked Monzo. Is there an official Monzo acknowledgement or response to this question, because surely it’s been posed countless times at this point, and I just can’t fathom Why PayPoint?

3 Likes

It costs more money, simple as that.

I’m sure ages ago the 50p worked out where it wasn’t costing Monzo anything. Plus Monzo likes to pass on the general costs of doing business differently to most banks.

Don’t they just pass on the cost of this anyway? Curious how much the post office route would actually cost too, given that it’s a standard free feature offered by most other banks.

For what it’s worth, the friends and family I’ve spoken to that this directly affects aren’t put off by the fee alone, it’s more the ease of access.

2 Likes

I’m sure it can’t be exorbitant otherwise other banks wouldn’t be on board. Plus the extra cost may be paying for staff who actually know how to process the transaction.

1 Like

I don’t fully understand the dismissals here. Monzo chose Paypoint as their partner to pay cash in, so they should ensure as best they can that this is possible.

It’s something Paypoint need to work on clearly, but for the love of God Monzo need to choose a less useless service provider.

The Amazon analogy is sort of right. If they chose a cruddy delivery company (oh, that charged £1 per delivery btw) and they weren’t ‘delivering’ I’d certainly say “hey Amazon you need to use a different delivery company”.

Responsibility is not the same as fault

Why can we not say “oh I’m sorry that sucks, it should work and Monzo should work with Paypoint to make sure all customers have access to the service that they should get” (and, ahem, PAY for).

Instead it’s… odd responses like “it’s not for us/Monzo bear no responsibility here”. This forum is literally here for customers to talk about their experiences being a Monzo customer. Sigh.

9 Likes

It’s not just that, they would need to re-issue every debit card as there is some part of the chip which needs to be set up to interact with Post Office systems. Imagine the cost of that for 5million accounts.

3 Likes

Nowhere near 5 million people would use it. They could’ve added it a year ago, got plenty of the chips in service before actually releasing the feature, and re-issued cards to those who actually want to use that before organic card renewal.

It’s not that difficult, or expensive.

3 Likes