✅ Custom Category Creation

Welcome to the Community, by the way. Always good to have new folk and see what’s important to them! :wave:

1 Like

Hopefully this is implanted soon :laughing:

I would also throw in a vote for Sub Categories as well as custom (but will happily take custom ones in the mean time!)

1 Like

I have searched the archives and have noticed a number of threads that relate to ‘Custom Categories’ however they are from a number of years back.

The current categories are not suitable for me, as a base they may be suitable for many people, but I would like a more in-depth overview of my spending, I would like to add my own categories via a simple ‘create category’ button, and I would like to be able to select a customer icon from a list of such.

As an example, i want to track how much money I am spending on food when I am at work and being truly stereotypically British I also would like to track how much money I spend at the pub/on alcohol.

There is already a thread for this.

Monzo have never suggested that this is likely as far as I can remember.

The reason might be that they like to compare how different groups of customers are spending in various categories. They’d find this disrupted if we had access to custom categories.

That said, it’s available with Emma as a paid for option, maybe Monzo might consider it as part of Monzo Plus.

1 Like

I would really like custom tabs or sub tabs

You can add tags to your spending.

#GettingBladdered

1 Like

The one started in 2016? :eyes:

Blockquote The reason might be that they like to compare how different groups of customers are spending in various categories. They’d find this disrupted if we had access to custom categories.

This was also a thought i had, as in what are they doing with the data, however you cannot put my spending habits in a box!

Monzo could still use it algorithm (however it does it now) to sort your data for internal stuff

Or anyone else’s, I guess.

They just said that they understand and will revisit it at some point because it’s complex :slight_smile:

As mentioned though, below is the topic where this is being discussed and where you should vote for it if you feel it is important

There was some mention of custom categories in relation to the new navigation. I think in the open office but can’t be sure without re-watching.

I’ve merged the thread with the main one. Best to keep all the chatter in one place :slight_smile:

1 Like

And the votes. :smile:

1 Like

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but with this recently being seen on the business roadmap it would be nice if we could get an update on this?

@hugo I know you were looking at this a while back, what was the outcome of that, is it doable? whereabouts does it sit roughly on the monzo book of work if even still present at all

2 Likes

Yes, it is doable and I hope we’ll get it done after we get this project to a good state.

Custom categories will be a nice add-on to our budgeting so it’ll make total sense to tackle it right after we have the new navigation.

We’ll keep you updated :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is this a commitment that it is next? If so, what else aren’t you working on?

Are you in a position to comment on that? Or are you hoping this is the case?

Not having a go, but transparency on roadmap seems lacking and left to comments like yours for us to extrapolate from.

2 Likes

I totally know what you mean and I can give some visibility about why that’s the case.

In general we don’t have a roadmap, the closest would be Making Monzo. Back in the day (really back in the day) when we only had one product team we would indeed work in a sequential way, feature after feature. Certainty was high and I could come to the forum often and say “this is what we’ll build next”. Good old days :wink:

We no longer work that way, we have multiple product teams working in parallel, all of them working super hard to optimise different parts of the Monzo experience. None of these teams work directly on custom categories or even budgeting, which makes tricky to prioritise this kind of work. It’s really not about transparency, we really tell you everything about the things we’re building!

In this case however (and that’s why I said I think we’ll probably build it), in the new navigation project there’s the opportunity to revisit part of the work we did for Summary so I can see fit to go and bring custom categories (at last!) to the product… but this might change as the team actually gets to that point. They might prioritise something else if they consider it would have a bigger positive impact than custom categories. Does that make sense?

10 Likes