Credit Reports

If you have a Capital One credit card you can also get your Equifax information and I believe if you have a Barclaycard you can get your Experian score.

Thanks, I didnā€™t know that. What I actually meant was, an overall picture of who reports to where. I should have been clearer.

I have a good rating with 2 out of 3 of them but the 3rd is much lower. The only difference seems to be their lack of knowledge about my record of long term credit. So presumably if I applied for say, a new mortgage thereā€™s a 1 in 3 chance that the lender will look at Noddle and turn me down

Every lender has their own criteria to judge someoneā€™s creditworthiness. The headline rating shown to us by credit reference agencies are not not useful and lenders usually donā€™t even look at those.

3 Likes

Equifax

Equifax fined by ICO over data breach that hit Britons http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-45574163

1 Like

Thatā€™s really helpful, thank you :sunglasses:

Not sure if anyone knew that there is a fourth Credit Agency now - http://www.crediva.co.uk/statutory-credit-report/

Not applied to them so donā€™t know what info they hold. I think your Statutory Credit Report is free now following GDPR though.

4 Likes

Do we know if there are any plans for Monzo to report to other agencies?

1 Like

I would recommend against using these as they rely on scamming & advertising to make their money, which can especially affect the most vulnerable who might be conned into signing up for one of the advertised ā€œdealsā€.

Instead just request a statutory credit report from the CRAs directly. By law they have to provide it to you for free or an insignificant fee (last year I believe it was around 2Ā£, but now at least Equifax gives you free statutory reports online) and it isnā€™t tied to any advertising or anything. Itā€™s also a bonus since they give you the raw data a lender actually sees instead of meaningless & misleading score.

So again, reviving an old thread as it might be the most fitting place

Today I got an alert from ClearScore about recent soft searches. I went to look and there are a bunch of insurance quotation searches from yesterday (all for companies I donā€™t recognise + Aviva) and a couple of searches from 118118 Money (is that what theyā€™re called?) from two days ago

The problem is, I didnā€™t make any of themā€¦ should I be concerned?

Could you have used a service like clearscore marketplace that likes to do soft searches to show you what you are eligible for? They tend to cause a lot of soft searches on the same day.

1 Like

I had a look on MSE on Saturday but that was for credit cards, not insuranceā€¦ :thinking:

They are the likely cause then, maybe you missed an opt out or they just do everything?

Do you have a car insurance renewal coming up soon and have you used a service like Compare the Market or GoCompare? They sometimes save your details and run price checks to try and get you to use their service again.

118118 do credit cards. I had them on mine once and I had no idea why, and I had done any searches either.

Clearscore were sort of useless and just assured me it wouldnā€™t affect my credit score. Which kind of was not the point.

1 Like