Credit Card inside Monzo šŸ‘€

Eugh - i escaped from Amex prison last year. It was a bit like being under-ageā€¦wondering if youā€™d get served. Mine even had its own Visa card as backup!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found acceptance pretty good around Telford, Birmingham and Shrewsbury.
I mainly use it for fuel as itā€™s definitely a committed spend that I can easily earn interest on.
My other half uses it too and has recently done both her car insurance and phone purchase amassing quite a bit of cashback.

2 Likes

I was in Raynes Park in South London a year or two back for a training course with my work Amex for expenses

Could not find a single restaurant after several miles of walking that would accept it. Eventually ended up buying my dinner from the nice new Waitrose

Did have much better luck in Aldgate East/Whitechapel last year on another course, but mainly due to the growth of iZettle

The same work Amex got on great in Denmark two years ago. Pretty much everywhere took it including all taxis. The only place than did not was the railway station, which is a bit ironic as it is about the only place it is guaranteed to work in the UK!

I feel I need to spend my weekend wondering around the area to verify this slight on local businesses :wink:

1 Like

it doesnt like the hyphen - had same issue as my domain has a hyphen also

1 Like

if anyone has a Costco card id recommend the Amex true earners card, seems best for cashback rewards

2 Likes

I live very close to there. I canā€™t remember specifics, but I used to get loads of refusals all over London (and the world).

Iā€™ve found Amex acceptance to be improving all the time. Big retailers almost all take it and as noted already, thanks to iZettle and similar, many small businesses can too. My local dry cleaners, barber and independent coffee place all take Amex now.

The peculiarity of contactless not working everywhere that accepts Amex is a bit of a frustration, but itā€™s a first world problem.

I like a minimalist wallet as much as anyone, but Iā€™m happy to carry four or five cards, so I have enough room to carry a back-up - in my case the Tandem Mastercard (although Iā€™ve recently had a mysterious acceptance issue with that tooā€¦).

Seeing my Amex details in the Monzo app should make my life much easier!

3 Likes

I donā€™t think this thread really needs to turn into an Amex referral thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Weā€™ve got the excellent Referral Wiki: Post/Find Here for that, after all :wink:

7 Likes

Are we supposed to flag referral stuff that isnā€™t in the right area as spam?

1 Like

It might be worth one of the @Coral-Crew split all the general Amex chat, which isnā€™t really related to having a Credit Card inside Monzo, into a different thread/new topic?

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s quite at that level :blush:

But yeah, this would be good :pray::grin:

We need a :bat_signal: emoji hehe :yum:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Removed Posts 20/02/19

Donā€™t we just shout for the @Coral-Crew ?

3 Likes

Hello :wave:t3:

2 Likes

Just for folks who might not have seen this :sunglasses:

Amex inside monzo is totally becoming a thing :heart_eyes: I wonā€™t be able to see it first hand but itā€™s very exciting to see progress on this nonetheless :tada:

We now have confirmation that itā€™ll at least show us balance information, when there are more updates to this Iā€™ll definitely be posting them :wink:

6 Likes

Exciting :eyes:

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised at some of the moves Monzo is making.

Iā€™m sure people are working very hard on this (or, at least , theyā€™re busy with itā€¦) but there are many things that could be added to Monzo ahead of this that would add much more value to the product.

I donā€™t know how Monzo feels about getting ideas from other apps/fin-Tech, but I can think of a few things that could be, ahem, ā€œborrowedā€ from apps like Money Dashboard and Qurve that would improve Monzo more than specific (AMEX) integrationsā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s in your opinion, though. My opinion is that having my Amex in-app would help me out a lot. Itā€™s definitely more use to me than some of the other enhancements that might be on the way.

If they havenā€™t been raised before, you should definitely create a topic for them.

4 Likes