Core App: Better payments

You really donā€™t, this turns off more than your contacts unfortunately as well as placing a rather annoying big blue box before your payees telling you to turn it back on which you canā€™t dismiss.

10 Likes

All fair comments really, Iā€™m just wondering now how this could be improved to still give a good user experience but also give us better privacy controls?

Alas!!

• The ability to amend payees

• The ability to click a transaction and pull money from a pot to cover the amount

• The ability to move money between pots

• Make the different sections in payees (recent, frequent, all) collapsible and expandable to tidy that screen up. Maybe even a different header for saved payees.

• Like suggested above, the ability to click a payee and see a list of the most recent transactions to that payee

• Again, as suggested above, the same account details for separate payees. Me and my wife both have solo credit card accounts with Halifax. A couple of times we have sent money to the wrong card because it pulls the most recent reference from a previous payment even though we selected the right payee.

• Not sure if it would be payment related, but a feature similar to NatWestā€™s ā€œGet Cashā€. Possibly partnering with Tesco like Natwest have or post office, pay point etc.

:grin:

9 Likes

In addition to the above suggestions, on Android, Iā€™d like to see the Scheduled payments to display all scheduled payments (both the Scheduled payments/standing orders and Subscriptions/Direct Debits) in chronological order.

At the moment, the ā€˜Scheduled payments & standing orderā€™ transactions are in chronological order. But the ā€˜Subscriptions & Direct Debitsā€™ are a mess - the CPAā€™s are listed at the top of the transaction list in alphabetical order, then, without any break or visual marker, DDā€™s are then listed also in Alphabetical order.

They all need to be Chronological. This may also affect - in a good way - the display within a Bills pot, where scheduled transactions are paid from a pot. At the mo, the Bills pot is a mess of chronological and alphabetical ordering.

7 Likes

Said this is another thread but Monzo should get smarter CoP all for it warning me sending money to an account i havent done so before but when ive already sent 50 odd transfers to my legacy account i dont want to continuously be warned the names dont match because of a missing middle name or using a nickname.

6 Likes

I made a little idea post for this one, please vote in case it helps bump it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Directly pay payee from a pot

Oh and another one but not sure if its in this realm, when withdrawing from a pot it would be good if i could send that directly to a payee rather than having to withdraw and then send in 2 seperate actions/flows.

6 Likes

For reference, there are a few ideas that itā€™s worth pulling out here for Kavi and co to take a look at:

With 316 votes (and third overall) is your Pot to Pot transfer idea.

With 251 votes (and fifth overall) is Improved Payee Management.

With 155 votes (and 11th overall) is Add Photo to Payee.

With 128 votes (and in 15th position) is Assign Transaction to Pot Button to Withdraw Exact Transaction Amount.

Just behind, with 127 votes and im 16th place overall is Edit Scheduled Pot Transfers.

Lots more thoughts in there if the Monzo team fancies a dive in!

10 Likes

Pot to pot is probably my No1 feature request.

1 Like

Reference stickiness.

Currently, if I change the ā€œnotesā€ field after sending a payment, I canā€™t easily access that same reference next time I send a payment to that person.

Example: I send a payment to a building society account which requires the building society acc number in the reference field. After sending, I go into the payment and add ā€œpaying back XXX for lunchā€ in the notes field. Next time I want to send a payment to that person, Iā€™m only given ā€œpaying back XXX for lunchā€ as a possible reference, not their building society acc reference.

7 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve nearly badly messed up on that before. References sometimes seem to change, especially if you edit a scheduled payment. In my case, it was to an account that wasnā€™t mine and the reference was needed to route the cash. Iā€™d got an old reference saved, so things very nearly went horribly wrong. Needs to be robust!

2 Likes

What happened to me is a LOT of money did go missing. It was only thanks to the building society saving the day and allocating the funds manually.

(I mean, the money would have likely bounced back to Monzo, so it wasnā€™t a disaster, but it was a scary moment when I realised what Iā€™d done).

1 Like

Yeah that shouldnā€™t happen. Bad Monzo.

I meanā€¦I take full responsibility for not being more careful :see_no_evil:

Music to my ears this is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Same situation. Irritatingly, she accidentally paid hers one month from our joint account, and now when I pay my credit card from my personal account I get her reference. And I canā€™t delete it. Irritating and has resulted in paying the wrong bill. Pretty basic stuff. Please fix!

5 Likes

I regularly send payments to a savings account with West Brom Building Society. Itā€™s so painful with the amount of warnings that Iā€™m being scammed (Iā€™m not). They bank via Barclays and their account name flags as an issue even if you match it to their instructions. So many warnings for sending to another financial institution account.

4 Likes

Confirmation of Payee is a great idea but the implementation so far seems less than ideal. I donā€™t know how much of that is because of wearepay.uk requirements and how much is down to Monzoā€™s interpretation.

1 Like

In addition to lots of great ideas above and in other threads, I was wondering if it would be better having the Pay and Request button within each contact (each contact card being delightfully pretty of course)? At the moment if I request money from a non-Monzo contact it provides my Monzo.me link to then find the contact again via the share sheet, even though Iā€™d already pressed the contact. Having Pay and Request within the contact card would be much better experience I think as it would pull contact details from the phoneā€™s contacts (permission given) and shares the Monzo.me link directly.

Also, Frequent and Recent areas are annoying. Mine are always the name people/businesses more or less. This area could do with some love. Thanks!

3 Likes

Bring some some form of screen based running balance for the account. Other banks do it (at least, Coop and Nationwide) and Monzo used to have it (older version, the account balance at the top of the screen changed as you scrolled up or down through account entries.) but you took it away in a previous update/revamp/ā€œimprovementā€.

There is a work around (produce a statement), but that is no substitute. And it is essential for people who periodically reconcile multiple bank accounts in an app like YNAB.

3 Likes