Connected Accounts: What next? (Summer 2022 edition)

RBS and Natwest only show current accounts; all savers are excluded from open banking

2 Likes

I wish I could view my Nationwide savings accounts in Monzo but sadly they (Nationwide) don’t support it.

3 Likes

It would be a game changer seeing all my savings through OB in the Monzo app. It feels like OB has stalled a bit. It would be great if banks were forced to opt in all products.

7 Likes

Any news on budgeting connected accounts? Just added my Amex… would be great if spending on that came off my main account budget.

3 Likes

This would make trends next level

In fact so would budgeting of any kind within that section…

2 Likes

Are there any plans to add Virgin Money Credit Cards to the connected accounts, as well as Chase Bank at all?

Would be really handy to see these so I then have a complete overview of all my finances, even more so with Tymit and PayPal Credit (although I imagine the latter is probably unlikely :pensive:)

3 Likes

By my calculations, Virgin is the only low hanging fruit left (aside from moving those in Labs to live).

Chase doesn’t currently have an API but rumour has it they’ll have one in a few months time. It’d be good to have Monzo early out of the gates for that.

Those aside, I suspect we’re into diminishing returns. Starling Goals/spaces/pots/things would be good. And loans (from credit reports like mortgages). But my heart and head are both screaming manual accounts please!

5 Likes

Genuinely curious with this one. Like connect accounts in and manually update the balance and transactions?

That seems difficult on a small device. I think if Monzo were ever to do a tablet/web/iPad version then definitely this!

1 Like

Shouldn’t be difficult on a small device.

A few options:

• Just the balance (enter an account name and value, super easy on mobile).
  • Manual transactions (would love this - I’d be all over my back data - but might be more difficult on a small screen. How about inverse Google Sheets - you put your data in the sheet and Monzo sucks it in?)
  • Automatic balance updates (so the balance of your manual account automatically updates if you send money to it from Monzo / receive money from it).
4 Likes

And just while I’m on it, what do manual accounts get you?

• All your missing accounts in Monzo - not everything will ever be able to be connected through open banking.
  • Releases the potential to have net worth and sophisticated features in Trends.
  • (With transaction level data) the ability to upload back data so that you can compare years pre-Monzo and those post Monzo.

Basically it’s the key to so so much!

4 Likes

With the Starling Connected Accounts, I wish I could connect my Personal account and Business (sole trader) account at once.

3 Likes

I’m 100% behind manual accounts. I want to be able to see everything in one place. Even if I want to put in loans etc.

6 Likes

Absolutely. It’s an easy win.

I really need Monzo to get over its aversion to it!

4 Likes

This!
Also I’d like to see them split into groups such as current account, credit card, loans, savings, investments etc… I could then finally ditch MoneyDashboard.

3 Likes

While I’m totally Team Manual Accounts, do we think Monzo will add Chase at launch or will it be years?

2 Likes

Is it popular enough in the grand scheme of things?

I don’t really care about connected accounts so I don’t really know who is there and who isn’t from the normal popular accounts.

If you take what’s in Labs, it’s really just Virgin that’s missing from the big names. Chase isn’t there.

That’s the big question. I suspect not. But if Monzo made open banking free for everyone it’d have quite a bit of leverage with smaller brands wanting a part of the action. Adding Chase might be a sneaky way to bleed JP Morgan of the incentives money they’re throwing around whilst keeping the Monzo as the primary customer interface.

Anyway, they’ll do what they do!

1 Like

Virgin Money pleeeaaasssee…

3 Likes

Bit of an oddity on Nationwide connected accounts:

Looks a bit like two fields have been concatenated?

1 Like

Is there any indication about the state of including more banks in the connected accounts? Personally I’m specifically interested in Virgin Money and Kroo, but any news would be good…

3 Likes