Connected Accounts: what next? (Summer 2021 edition)

Okay, I think there’s enough data for me to say what I’d do if I were Monzo! Remember that this is just for fun - I don’t know how much resource they have or how much effort these things are…

1. I’d add Virgin Money, Sainsbury’s Bank and New Day credit cards (and, if a marginal exercise, Tesco and M&S). This is because they are standard Open Banking APIs and all the UI stuff is already in Monzo. I wouldn’t do Starling (even though I voted for it) immediately as a) I think there’s fintech forum bias, b) it’s not a standard API, and c) it’ll need app work to effectively show Starling goals/spaces/pots.

2. I’d then bring outstanding features to connected accounts, bringing them to near parity with Monzo native accounts (notes, tags, split-the-bill, tabs, merchant data). The latter will be difficult, but important if we want Trends to show top merchants etc.

3. Thirdly: manual accounts. Probably aiming for #4 from this post

4. Lastly, I’d try and get some commercial agreements with folk like Nutmeg, Transferwise, Pension Bee, Paypal, Wisealpha, Crowdcube etc. Open and service accounts in Monzo. Monzo get intro fee etc etc. Or maybe a tie up with some building societies (regular readers know I bang on about this from time to time) for mortgages, savings accounts etc… These come last because they’re really a bit different and are things that can’t really be delivered via open banking as it is right now. And for those APIs that do exist (looking at you Nutmeg) there needs to be some UI work in the Monzo app for it to really fit.

14 Likes