Complaint Procedure

Hi no the problem has not been resolved. My complaint has been rejected because I have not provided photo ID. Bit strange as Monzo is communicating with me explaining it cannot uphold my complaint. I can just ask the Ombudsman to deal with as Monzo’s final response has been issued. I have, for 10 months had duplicate payments taken from my account by Tesco and Monzo is aware of this problem but will not solve it, hence my complaint. And I don’t feel I need to put my photo online just so my complaint can be dealt with. Shall I write a letter instead.

This is not a problem of Monzo’s causing, it’s Tesco. If you have a search on here you will see it mentioned a few times.

You photo won’t be online, it doesn’t appear on this forum, it goes to a Monzo staff member.

1 Like

I can relate to not wanting to send your photo over email. The video is different different: it’s via the app and then (presumably) stored in a secure location. The photo would be over email, in the clear, and would contain not just a photo of you but sensitive identity documents. I wouldn’t do it.

I was recently asked to send in such a photo. I asked if they could identify me through the app instead. A minute later I had a request in chat to confirm via my phone’s biometric authentication (fingerprint) and it was all done easily and simply.

7 Likes

It does seem remarkably strange asking for photo ID to make a complaint if you take the situation at face value, which is all we have, which suggests somehow there is more to it. If a company, any company, asked for ID before allowing me to complain to them I’d be straight down their ombudsman as that’s entirely unreasonable but I imagine here that the devil will be in the detail, detail we don’t have.

5 Likes

The point made by @Peter_G where he felt that he didn’t want to provide info over email and instead used the in app chat service might be a possible solution here @mikeb1 .

@ysconhb has also highlight the lack of specific detail doesn’t allow us to make a fully informed idea of what can be done in this set circumstance. If you have access to the app, speaking to our team through this would be beneficial.

6 Likes

Out of interest did you complain about this?

Asking for these things over email is really bad practice, and in a way feels really legacy. If it’s doable via the app, which it is from what you describe, that should be the first port of call!

Is it? My mom’s gone back to using Nationwide for her weekly shopping. No such issues now.

Assuming @Peter_G didn’t raise a complaint over this, is there any chance you’d be able to find out why Monzo are requesting this and not the in app way? From what I gather the app way isn’t being presented as an option either, so the user would have to know to request it, which is how we end up here!

If I ever end up in a similar position as @mikeb1 or @Peter_G, it’s the sort of experience that will leave me with a very bad taste that would be enough to persuade me to move things elsewhere!

3 Likes

I’m guessing the complaint/correspondence is via email, then you could be anyone and they need to verify you. Do it in the app and you won’t need to do this.

And…

4 Likes

It was in the context of a complaint, but I didn’t complain about it (in the formal sense).

To elaborate, I’d made the request for some info in an email conversation. Monzo asked for a selfie with ID as they hadn’t verified me in the app. I suggested they message me in the app to confirm it’s me instead - they sent me a message with a quick “tap here to confirm your identity” prompt. It was super simple and literally seconds as it was via my phone’s biometrics. I have no complaints about how it was handled.

Agreed. I’m actually not as worried about it being legacy than insecure. We simply should not be providing sensitive information over emails, especially something that could be reused by bad actors. It’s like banks expecting you to provide personal information when they call you - it’s just training the population to normalise things that are actually dangerous.

4 Likes

I could only make assumptions but if we’re speaking to a customer over email then we’ll verify the customer over that medium and this is usually because the app itself is unavailable to the user.

The in app chat service will be the faster option between the two but if someone is unable to access the app for whatever reason (lost phone, etc) then we need to endeavour to help the customer over email and in turn make sure our obligations to account security are met.

Hope that kinda answers it @N26throwaway :blush:

3 Likes

In that scenario, it makes a lot more sense, though still not ideal! I think this would call for some kind of secure web portal.

It does thank you!

2 Likes

If customer doesn’t want to put photo online that’s not being ignorant. Anyway I will leave it to the Ombudsman to decide. In the meantime Monzo sort out this Tesco problem please. Its only been 10 months.

2 Likes

It’s a Tesco issue. Not Monzo.

So your complaint won’t go anywhere.

2 Likes

You’re complaining to the wrong people. A quick search would have pointed you in the direction of Tesco and saved you all this aggravation and wasted time.

All Monzo are doing is acting on instruction to pay. It is Tesco that are requesting more money than they need.

3 Likes

I’m not wasting my time I’ll let the Ombudsman decide however long it takes

Good luck, I can guarantee the outcome is Monzo can’t do much more about it, as it’s a retailer issue with the provider they use.

Do drop back in 6 months time though to show us the pdf outcome

1 Like

If Monzo are now responsible for the IT systems of Tesco and their suppliers then I’m sure they can sort it out.

I feel that the chances of that are quite low, however. I’d hope the ombudsman would be able to understand that too.

I’m guessing with their workload 6 months is very optimistic for the FOS probably 18 months. BTW I’ve spoken to someone at the FOS and was told Monzo is being unreasonable asking for photo ID just to answer a complaint. Looking at the responses it appears it’s Tescos fault. So why can’t Monzo sort it. I don’t have this problem with any other bank or financial service.

You kind of answered it there? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But I’m with @N26throwaway and you here – I’ve never heard of it happening with any other bank, and I shop with Tesco weekly. Mostly online, but sometimes in person still. And it’s not just a case of how Monzo display pending transactions vs others.

1 Like

I never get it with Monzo either. I think there’s a very small slim set of criteria and options that need to align for it to happen.

All my shopping + fuel is done at Tesco btw. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Even Tesco say it’s not just Monzo

7 Likes