Compatability issues

It won’t work on my Samsung tablet either. It is a shame they can’t have it work on tablets as well as phones.

It works on my old iPad 4?

If your device is running an insecure and deprecated OS with no upgrade path you should complain to your device’s manufacturer - Monzo is not at fault here. I know it sucks but that’s the reality when you buy a device from a company that can’t be bothered to keep it up to date for a reasonable period of time.

Note that running a deprecated OS also puts you at risk (any information on that device could be compromised should an attacker gain access to the device via a vulnerability) so maybe it’s not that bad if you can’t run your Monzo app on it.

1 Like

You can install custom rom - custom operating system for your phone. Samsung no longer supports upgrades to newer android versions, but dev communities are releasing and updating custom roms. I had seen even android nougat for Samsung S4, but marshmallow (6.0) would probably be the best pick. You can read more about it here:
http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-s4-the-best-android-6-0-marshmallow-roms-you-can-use/

As long as you get android 5.0 up, you’ll be able to install Monzo. It’s not the most straightforward thing to do, but following instructions carefully, I believe that anyone can pull it off. If you don’t feel comfortable, there might be a that special friend that’s a tech wiz and could do this for you? :slight_smile:

Please note that installing custom rom can damage your phone (unlikely, but possible) and requires full backup, because the phone will be completely wiped.

Tbh, I found that my Cube iWork 10 tablet works with Monzo, but that’s been a hit and miss reported on forums regarding Monzo on tablets. :frowning:

Just make sure that you get your custom ROM from a trusted source and downloaded securely (either download over HTTPS or verify the hashes). The last thing you’d want to do is put a compromised ROM on your phone.

1 Like

In my case (Android 13), Monzo app didn’t work fully until I re-started the phone. After that, it was fine. In the Google Play website, there’s a section About this app with an arrow icon :arrow_right: and only when you click on the icon, a popup screen with lots more specific details. Screenshot as of Jul 2023. fyi