Child Payment card linked to my account

Your situation was similar to mine growing up however when my kids are old enough for an account I’ll be looking at GoHenry or similar.

The difference these days is that you can have more control, teach them the value of saving, the effects of spending sprees, control where they spend, have an oversight on it all and just generally educate them on managing their finances better. Rather than just giving them a card and saying “go nuts” while they figure it all out themselves.

1 Like

It’s not every thread, but I like the idea. Maybe have a thread called “I think Monzo are …”

Then all the people who think it’s poor can argue with those who think it’s great.

1 Like

Go Henry missed a trick, there.

2 Likes

gonutsbank.com is available… this might be my million dollar idea that I’ve been dreaming of :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The big banks offer accounts with debit cards to anyone over the age of 11

Try one of them and then you can put money in it using faster payments.

I had one with natwest but the one offered by nationwide currently looks like one with a better offer.

I don’t think that’s healthy though only having threads with positive vibes. It’s like sticking your fingers in your ears going la-la-la everything is fine :hear_no_evil:

Monzo needs to have constructive criticism where it’s needed. If you have a competitor that’s doing something better it needs to be highlighted, and Monzo needs to pull their finger out and step up, or be given both barrels.

Then be constructive in your criticism.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I mute many, many threads each day :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I had an visa electron card from Lloyds TSB back in the day. Think I got that at 11/12 which was my own account.

We do a reward chart separately but tempted to switch to Rooster which is aimed at 3yr+

At 7 probably swap to R, and 11/12 they can have their own account like I did.

:wink: I should have just done this…

:poop:

But to actually reply I was half joking to your reply about keep it to a low gushing and it turned into a wall of bullets. I should have added a smiley to keep it light hearted.

I think people think I hate Monzo, which isn’t the case. It’s just painful to see them getting left behind after seeing them grow up.

I wish Monzo looked at their own forum to hoover up opinions but we could be writing anything here, doesn’t have any impact whatsoever on how quickly if/when we might see a kids account.

Perhaps there’s a reason people might believe this. I personally may agree with many of the points you raise about Monzo’s glacial pace of development, and curious decisions, and many other things, but there are ways of putting that across.

That’s fine, but to me saying that it’s stagnated is an accurate statement. I shouldn’t need to sugar coat it, or refrain from saying that because some people are fed up with the negativity.

It chose not to go down that route, I know from my own reading back in the day they had people dedicated to the project of 11+ but it obviously got pulled like most things. To me they missed the boat, Starling kept on chugging along, and now it’s a Tortoise and the Hare situation.

We’ve only been asking Monzo for a kids app for the past four years. Now Monzo has stagnated it doesn’t look like any time soon.

I would love it if Monzo went tada! and said look what we’ve been secretly working on, a 11+ (or even 6+) account. Get stuck in.

That’ll be £2 a month.

Stagnation is the lack of activity, growth or development.

They released Plus like 2 months ago, how can that be Monzo stagnating? I sometimes feel that unless Monzo are releasing a new feature every other week, people have the impression that nothing is happening, but that pace is not sustainable for a variety of reasons.

Monzo have already stated that they must focus on revenue generation. If creating a child’s account was as simple as a month’s development with 3 developers to link a separate card to a parent’s pot, and then watch that sweet monthly fee money come rolling in, they would do it, but perhaps it’s not that simple. Or perhaps they see that the revenue would be too small based on estimated take up. Or perhaps it’s part of the plans but they want to go down the gohenry route and have the app permit parental management and child engagement, in which case it’s a lot of work to adapt the app to cope with those two ways of working, and other things can be done in less time to bring in the money. Nobody knows.

Let’s be honest Plus has been a ballsup. Putting aside the previous failed attempts. We now have a paid option which has basically taken things they had worked on in 2018/2019 and finally released stuck behind a paywall.

They didn’t need to do anything special to release a card, 1.00% AER interest, Fee-free withdrawals abroad or 1 free cash deposit a month, and offers.

The Custom categories they had in development for fricken ages and originally was going to be free. (They ballsup the interface with the unnecessary Done button on the picker at the same time)

The other accounts appearing in Monzo again had in development for fricken ages and was released free for most of a year before it got taken away. If they had actually bother to tie it into the budgeting (as the Plus benefit) then again it would have had actual value.

The credit score reporting was already built and again said there would be a roll out where a few got access and again this was pull back to paid because they didn’t have anything to add under Plus.

The credit scoring I find distasteful, you should never ever pay to access your own report to check what they have on you is correct. They basically just recreated Credit Karma which wasn’t innovative, without bothering to actually tailor it to Monzo’s own loans and overdraft which would have made it actually useful.

So Virtual cards whoop-de-do.

I fully understand with growth things slow down but it has def stagnated and this was pre-covid.

1 Like

Have Monzo said they’re going to offer accounts for children? They can’t have “missed the boat” if they were never trying to catch it.

1 Like

Did they not? Gosh it must be dead simple to run a bank and write an app for it.

I don’t recall any mention from anyone from Monzo saying that they’d be releasing custom categories for free. They may have said they wanted to do it, but unless they say it’ll be free and then go back on their word, it’s all subject to your memory and/or understanding.

That was a very simple integration done with an external provider, and was never going to be suitable for the kind of things Monzo had planned, so they re-wrote it all themselves. I made use of the original one and tbf it wasn’t great, whereas I’ve no doubt the plan is to expand on this and make external accounts tie-in, with categories, budgeting etc, as well as allowing for tighter credit card management. This is an area where development would be very beneficial.

On this I agree with you. I don’t think it should be part of Plus, especially as it was available (albeit for a small number of people) pre-Plus and is not a benefit within the account that I can see. I believe I can do this in my NatWest app, so I don’t understand this decision.

Emphasis on “special”. They obviously still had to do things. Like to release a card, they need to design and approve it, but they don’t manufacture the card themselves. Fee-free withdrawals abroad, they have to update to not charge for it. And 1 free cash deposit implement some counter for if first despot then skip the charging. Nothing special. We aren’t talking months of development or anything technically tricky or imaginative.

It may have been my understanding but when you tease along it will be :soon: well ahead of Plus even being a thing, I’m not led to believe you would have to finally pay to do an expected trivial task as add another category. At most it would be create up to three categories for free and want more then upgrade for more at the very minimum of acceptable behaviour. Lumping it behind Plus at the last minute is crap.

Yes if they had done this it would have been a benefit, the current implementation does not warrant being paid for providing zero benefit from using the Amex app or whatever bank. If they tied into the budgeting etc like Yolt/Emma then yep thats a “Plus”.

:+1:

But it’s already been teased that further enhancements are coming - https://community.monzo.com/t/you-can-now-add-amex-to-monzo-with-monzo-plus/106180/52?u=alawrence

If Monzo had released this for free, and later hoovered it up into plus, folk would be complaining that a free feature was paywalled.

I used to be able to add Amex card in Monzo app before Monzo Plus :thinking: not anymore.

Via a third party. Now it’s all in house, which can be built upon. The third party option was it. That was the feature.

1 Like