✅ Cheque Imaging 📱

Hi Sam :wave:t2:

There has already been a lot of discussion about cheque imaging on these threads:

Maybe someone from Coral Crew could merge?

2 Likes

They put cheque paying-in via app on the back-burner I think? Late last year or early this year

1 Like

Hi @sherrattsp, I’ve moved your post into the main Cheque imaging thread to keep the things tidy. I hope that’s okay!

Fine by me :grinning:

Right okay

I can see why, I can’t imagine cheques are the most used things used by your average monzo user.

Plans to provide this service were paused back in 2018.

See this link: https://monzo.com/blog/2018/06/21/paying-cheques-into-monzo/

You can however post cheques in, as detailed here: https://monzo.com/help/payments-getting-started/cheque-how-to-pay

I’ve paid a few cheques in via post and it was a very smooth process, your notified the moment they receive it and given the date the cheque will clear

1 Like

Sorry to drag back an old topic, but, having received a cheque for over £200 last week I put it in a envelope with a first class stamp last Monday expecting to receive a notification on Tuesday or at the least Wednesday of its safe arrival. Today, Friday, still no notification and chat tell me no sign of a cheque. This was for expenses I’ve accrued from the small charity I work for. Their bank will charge them £20 to stop the cheque which they can ill afford. I am still out of pocket. If only there was cheque Imaging available…

1 Like

I know it’s not the point but why pay your expenses by cheque? Especially with the circumstances surrounding how difficult it would be for you to cash it? Or do they not know?

1 Like

It’s early days yet. I have a feeling they can take longer than 4 days to appear in app.

3 Likes

No it’s not the point. That is the way they have chosen to pay me. I don’t think it’s unreasonable. Cheques remain a legitimate method of payment. I have taken extra care by addressing the envelope and paying for a stamp rather than using the Freepost option but the system has failed. I find it disappointing that Monzo has walked away from providing cheque imaging which would have provided a better solution.

2 Likes

Sounds like the postal system has failed you. Not Monzo.

1 Like

Not sure anything has failed. I don’t think I’ve seen anything say you’ll get a notification in a day or 2. Depending what time you posted it, it might not have been delivered until Wednesday. Then, as far as I know, they’re locked away until they’re processed. I wouldn’t worry until next Wednesday

3 Likes

I assume they’ll have to be taken to whoever does Monzo’s clearing.

1 Like

Conversely and again this isn’t the point of this thread but why should any organisation who wishes to issue a cheque not do so?

I don’t get this expectation that some have that organisations have to change the way they do things because of how others choose to bank.

Its not for them to worry about how difficult it would be for a specific person to pay a cheque in. After all, its a recognized method of transferring funds and other banks lets you pay in cheques in via multiple methods such as cheque imaging, branches, post offices, ATMs etc…

4 Likes

I think Monzo open them in batches, you get the notification and then it goes to be cleared

1 Like

Absolutely the postal system has failed - but this is the system Monzo advocates for paying in cheques as they have chosen not to pursue cheque imaging.

2 Likes

Previously they have always been dealt with in 2 days. I have asked chat today and they have told me there is no sign of the cheque…

Really? I think 7 days is the quickest for me

At Christmas people were told there was no sign of cheques and it was because they hadn’t processed them yet. They won’t know it’s there until it’s processed

1 Like

Since you put a stamp on it, did you send it to the Freepost address or their physical address?

The number of times that others report considerable delays in Monzo acknowledging the arrival of cheques, leads me to suspect the delay is at their end - not due to the Royal Mail.

Just do what most do and pay them in somewhere else…though that will support Monzo’s mistaken impression that its customers don’t receive cheques…

I don’t particularly have an issue with cheques, but if you were to offer me one as payment I would decline and ask for a bank transfer. To explain, cheques are too difficult for me to cash in. I have a legacy account but it only opens in the times I am at work and it’s nearest branch is unreachable in the time I have for lunch.

I have a long running hatred of the postage system so wouldn’t trust them to deliver anything of mine successfully unless it was fully tracked and insured.

I don’t thinks it’s unreasonable to ask to receive payment for things you have done/ need to be paid for or accrued expenses partaking in, in a format that is both friendly to the receiver and the sender, that isn’t always a cheque. Especially for me as evidenced above.

7 Likes