Change charged amounts

I’d love to use the Monzo budget feature, but it’s just not reflective of my actual spending without playing around with it too much. Is there a function whereby I can change the amount that was charged on my card. For example, I pay for three drinks on my card, one friend Monzo’s me their amount for their drink and the other pays me in cash. So in effect, I’ve only spent the money for one drink, but the payment for three is taken from my card, and is therefore reflected in my budget. What I would like to do is go in, change that amount spent to the cost of one drink. If this is already a function, anyone pointing me in the right direction would be great! If not, it would give the opportunity for a more accurate budget. By the end of the month, it is saying I have exceeded my budget limits, when in reality I haven’t.

Shared tabs were created for this exact scenario :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @AliceSAysNo. You can split the bill on the transaction view to achieve this.

You can invite the one friend that has Monzo to split the bill, and they’ll receive a feed item to approve. And other friend you can split as a friend not on Monzo, and it’ll just reduce the amount on your budget. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks! However, I can’t find where you can split it with a friend not on Monzo on both the shared tab and split bill?I can only see the tab to invite friends to Monzo on both tabs which is not what I want. A few people I regularly share costs with aren’t on Monzo and won’t be anytime soon… but I can’t seem to split the cost without the person either being on Monzo or seeing a request to be invited- I’d like to manually add someone who won’t ever be using Monzo… so is this possible? Could anyone point me to how I can split the cost on my summary without having to link it to an actual person/other account?

It is possible, just not very clear at the moment I don’t think. To split the bill with just a none Monzo friend for example:

First, go to the transaction view and hit “Split this bill”.
PNG

A list of your contacts on Monzo will appear. Don’t click any, and just click Next.
IMG_0598

You’re presented with the overview screen now. Tap “Add someone not on Monzo”
PNG

It’ll add just “Friend 1”, “Friend 2” etc.
PNG

Hit “Request Money”, and then you can tap “Friend 1” to bring up the Share Sheet and send a request link that’ll use Monzo.me to take the payment.
PNG

4 Likes

Yep, that’s it! I wasn’t going to press next without selecting something first. Brilliant, thanks a million :grin:

2 Likes

Another quick question, what about if they give me a lump payment each week that covers all their various costs throughout that week. How can I mark this as paid as they pay in cash and don’t use online banking… Yes, they still use cash!

Unfortunately there’s no way to mark a bill split with a non-Monzo friend as paid :disappointed:. Hopefully this’ll come in a future revision.

For tracking multiple expenses with lump sum amounts, a Shared Tab would work perfect here (but as far as I can see, you can’t add a non-Monzo user to a Shared Tab). Hopefully this’ll come soon too!

The only options I can see for you right now, unfortunately, is to keep track on some sort of spreadsheet or convince your friend to get a Monzo account (even if it’s just for the use of Shared Tabs).

1 Like

I’m making an assumption here that the non-Monzo friends might be housemates.

But if so, I just saw a great article by Monzo that might help convince them to open an account:

Haha, no it’s my boyfriend, who will flat out never use it, even if he gets one. Which unfortunately means that my budget is now null and void unless I can manually change the amounts. :frowning: TBF he doesn’t have to get one, but as we split so many different costs, not just the household ones, it affects almost all categories of my budget. I need to use a separate budget app in order to get a truer reflection of my spending…

1 Like

and a couple of friends, but I’m finding most friends are now asking me how to get a Monzo…

1 Like