Categorising Pot Transfers

So if I understand correctly you’re saying that the 3 £10 categories will be wiped when you withdraw them from the pot and you’ll just have the £30 American express marked as ‘bills’ left to be reflected in your budget.

If so, this doesn’t help the OP. Their healthcare, groceries and shopping budgets will go unchanged and it will show they’ve got lots of budget left to spend when in reality the don’t.

I suppose it would have to do the inverse.

Taking money out of the pot, reduces the money spent for that category.

What that does to left to spend etc I’m not sure.

In this I am saying the taking money out the pot goes to a different category as putting in so:

£10 groceries into Amex pot (groceries has £10 spent)

£10 Amex bill paid to bills category
£10 withdrawn from Amex pot and offset £10 Amex bill in bills category.
Net impact on bills category is £0.

Would also sort out issue that period spent and period settled with Amex unlikely to be the same period and so transfer into bills pot becomes the prevailing transaction for understanding spend.

It still begs the question of how to connect your 3 pot movements to that one card payment so the system knows what budgets to adjust.

If we’re struggling to work out how it will work now, it’s a whole different issue on how to make it easy to use and keep track of in the app.

Exactly. We get lots of questions about this as it is. So to work out that someone has a random £50 in their pot full of money that is marked as groceries which is skewing their budgets seems more hassle than it is worth.

You’d also have to take into account people like me who don’t want this and then would be negatively impacted by it.

I don’t want to categorise my pot transfers. I don’t know what they’ll be spent on. But if this was implemented, I’d have to. So I’d need to use a category that I don’t use currently and completely ignore it or create a new one (If I had Plus/Premium)

Never going to happen.

I do agree it is not easy. And trying to implement will cause issues for many more people vs the people that understand it and use as intended - I see having an optional advanced budgeting would be a way to go. But would create noise when people activate it then don’t understand/ use it properly.

I generally feel the budgeting isn’t hugely useful so pay little attention to it. Although on plus the category splitting does help a lot.

Surely those transactions would have a toggle for exclude from summary like a normal transaction? Also, I would see some pot transfer as a category of general savings/ finances where they are not for a specific purpose.

I agree plus would/ does help a lot with custom categories.

You can’t exclude pot transfers from summary. And I don’t want to do that 100+ times a month! But what if I use savings/finances for something else?

By the sounds of it you have Plus, so you could do something with the Google Sheets export that would track exactly what you pay off from your credit card.

Unfortunately I don’t think you’re going to get Monzo to be able make you track what you spend on your credit card without doing the extra work yourself.

Hi.i have problems with monza account, Today my monza account cancel with monza bank,my money still on the my monza account, and Monza employ people text me we Close your account, but don’t tell why.my money in account, monza text me so money back 2-4weeks time.im have big stress ,I have children who need food, eating, pay rent, so all my money hold on Monza account, not give me back any my pound.i need Help! Can you text me Please who have same situation like me. Please People text me. I text to monza bank I need money for food but she text me back Apologies we not can’t help you.

Hi, I’m sorry to hear this. We’re all customers just like you so we can’t help. You’ll have to speak to Monzo in app, via email or call them.

If they’re saying it will take 2-4 weeks for your money to be returned and are not helping you further then I can’t think of anything else you can do to speed this up. Perhaps you could seek a short term loan from a friend or family member? or utalise an overdraft at your new bank? If you’re struggling for food like you mentioned I’m sure some local food banks will be able to help you and your family so maybe you can explore this as well.

I hope it all works out for you and I’m sorry that nobody on here can help with this :pensive:

Please help Please who have this situation

Nobody on here can help you for the reasons I’ve already explained.

You’ll need to contact Monzo via the methods I gave you and I’d strongly suggest that in the mean time you explore some of the other options that will help you too. I hope that this is resolved for you soon.

Just gonna chime in and say, if the idea of Categorising Pot Transfers is something you’d like/would help you with your budgeting, then YNAB might be for you. It’s not quite the same as doing it in Monzo, but can give you that same granularity you might be seeking.

Thoroughly recommend it for seeing those kind of spends as you go.

As an “in Monzo” solution, I sometimes use my Pots as pseudo-categories, again not quite the same mechanism, but I have a pot for categories like “Coffee” and “Eating Out”, etc, and spend in those categories get a transfer.

Maybe there’s a way you can tweak that behaviour for the goal you have/

2 Likes