Cash Deposits

I think the PO has several ways. My Barclays card you do Chip & PIN at the PO to deposit, however my HSBC one they swipe it. I think it’s a case of the PO pressing deposit cash or whatever and if one doesn’t work they’ll do it the other way as they certainly don’t seem to know all of the banks they do and don’t support they just try it and see.

Maybe this is why they don’t need to bother with the chip profile thing - it may just be a swipe.

At post office My virgin money account it’s chip and pin for withdrawals and to deposit it’s just chip and press green button depends how cards are set up to deposit though most are instant some still take a little time depends the set up I used to use deposit slips to deposit cash and credits only happened when bank got slip

I don’t like fees that most would not add like transferwise has gone from not charging on some things to charging it like £0.65 or something similar to do a bank transfer from December 1st and to pay in by card £10 will be £10.02 from your current account at monzo by card for UK balance with them

Disappointed by the deposit limits. As others have said the only time I make a deposit is when I have accumulated a high amount of money.

I would have also preferred the post office but purely for selfish reasons.

So… For science I just attempted to use a PayPoint machine with my Monzo card :see_no_evil::joy:

It doesn’t work yet, Monzo have outsmarted me :yum: (figured that there would have been some protections in place to prevent just anybody ‘testing’ it :grin:)

7 Likes

Did the Paypoint person know that Monzo money in was a thing?

I don’t think they did :yum: they weren’t a particular cheerful or talkative cashier though :sweat_smile:

(This was a PayPoint in a co-op :slight_smile:)

Me: Is this a PayPoint location?
Cashier: yep
Me: can I make a cash deposit on my card please?
Cashier: how much?
Me: (hands monzo card over) £100
Cashier: (swipes card in machine) sorry this card isn’t accepted

6 Likes

It’s not even in staff testing yet! :soon:

Quite a bit of wishful thinking in your part Marcus :joy: Although we appreciate the enthusiasm as always :grin:

13 Likes

Oh :joy::joy: I assumed it was, based on seeing the screenshot that @nickrw shared :yum:

That would’ve made it more amazing… if it had worked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll keep my eyes out for the official release :wink:

Edit: is staff testing opt in for all monzo employees? :blush:

6 Likes

Yes, opt in - nobody is under any obligation to use staff builds if they don’t want to.

But it’s very helpful for testing obviously. And if you’re into tech and applied to work here because you loved the app (as many of us did) then it’s definitely a perk :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the insight :smile:

I actually applied recently :see_no_evil: for a technical role over in Cardiff :grin::tada: the app is pretty incredible, really appreciate the user friendliness in a banking app :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Keeping my fingers crossed for you bro! :crossed_fingers:

Cardiff is a great office, love the team there :heart:

4 Likes

I will sulk if you don’t get it

5 Likes

Thank you! :blush::grin:

I may very well do the same :sweat_smile:

(I should probably stop taking this thread off topic :innocent::joy:)

3 Likes

I believe they recruit partially on the basis of emoji use. You have that nailed my friend. Nailed.

:monzo:

4 Likes

Living up to my last name! :wink:

Fingers crossed the recruiters keep an eye on the community forum :yum:

2 Likes

Are you running non-support Squads out of Cardiff (and Las Vegas) now, Simon?

It’ll be interested to see how a more geographically dispersed development model works for you…

2 Likes

In Cardiff - yes.

We have members of the People team working there now, and as Marcus has mentioned, we are hiring for TechOps - basically that’s the team that sorts out all the equipment, the networking, the A/V stuff, the software needs of each employee, and many other things.

In Vegas, we are only running COps roles there right now. Vegas is about 6-12 months behind Cardiff in terms of how we plan on scaling up the operation, firstly because we launched there later and secondly because there’s quite a few more logistics and a lot of paperwork and regulation to sort out there first with it being on a different continent!

With that said, my understanding is that both of those offices will remain mostly focused on Customer Operations.

8 Likes

I rarely deposit cash so I don’t know how this would affect me but my thoughts:

• If this isn’t a very common occurrence, would it really cost Monzo a lot to not charge?

• What about a limit of free deposits and charges thereafter? One free deposit a month could be used to encourage customers to save their change into a savings pot once a month.

• Everything costs every business something. I don’t like that argument. If it costs to deposit cash then that is a part and parcel of opening a bank.

• Please stop pushing any negative comments regarding a Monzo feature down with “Use another bank”. It’s not a good argument.

• £1 a deposit might not be a lot to you but it might be to some. This is becoming uncomfortably common here with people earning what I assume is more than a lot of the average public.

Most of my cash deposits are relatively small so even £1 is a good percentage of it so I probably would just avoid Monzo for it.

10 Likes

Just a response to the original topic - I live completely cashless and have been cashless for about a year casually and taken it really seriously for about 5 months. I have monzo on Apple Pay and I do not carry a bank card. I paid for pizza the other day and everyone transferred me money and one person tried to give me cash. I absolutely reeled!! I haven’t had a problem with this at all but it’s nice to see cash deposits are an option :slight_smile:

2 Likes