Carphone Warehouse ID check

Hey Monzo.

Just wanted to let you know that Carphone Warehouse in the UK do not accept Monzo MasterCard Debits as their ID check.

For anyone with no other bank account, there is no other way to verify ID when buying a contract phone with Monzo.

So Archaic!!!

Did you ask what the procedure is for someone without an alternative debit card?

It seems to me like it could border on some sort of banking discrimination (probably not a thing, would be good if it were)ā€¦

2 Likes

Same for Vodafone when I went to grab my new phone last week.

1 Like

There isnā€™t a solution. At all. They have to do the Ā£1 verification.

Fortunately my archaic old bank is still open and I had the ability to use that.

I very nearly snapped at the ā€œtheyā€™re just a preloaded currency card companyā€ - then realised I didnā€™t want to be ā€˜that guyā€™

1 Like

I had the same issue with Vodafone when I went to collect my Apple Watch last week.

The manager was very nice and explained the whole process to me, which was totally understandable, however didnā€™t help me with the current situation of my Monzo card not working as a validation check.

The manager allowed me to verify who I was a different way by actually checking the direct debit details (which are through Monzo) that were linked with my Vodafone account.

I was also told that in exceptional circumstances with cases such as this, I would be able to provide my passport and/or driving lisence as further ID which is linked with my address.

1 Like

Definiately flag this up to acceptance@monzo.com!

2 Likes

Thanks for that!

Iā€™ll send an email over to them!

1 Like

So the moral of the story isā€¦

Donā€™t close your legacy bank account, because a lot of UK retail still hasnā€™t got with the program and those fortunate to be blessed with having a account with an innovative and exciting bank have to suffer because companies canā€™t be bothered to keep up with developments in the UK banking industry and like to come up with fabricated BS as a response to customersā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never got a contract in a store before, whatā€™s the ID check? Is it just an active card check?

Canā€™t believe Carphone Warehouse are still aroundā€¦

No idea why tbh what with all the networks having their own stores etc, seems pointless.

1 Like

Itā€™s basically just a quick check ran by the company to make sure that you are who you say you are, and that you have an active card linked to the address which you have provided to the company as to where you live.

Definitely flag with acceptance and they can get in touch.

Fun fact : The internal system at Carphone Warehouse, which is called PIE, is so old that it runs on DOS, is keyboard-only (no mouse support) and still has some of the company stock warehouse usernames listed as TANDY (Tandy was an old company that was bought out by Carphone in 1999).

Thatā€™s what it looks like and itā€™s literally older than most people who work in the storesā€¦ :joy:

7 Likes

Donā€™t fix what ainā€™t broke I guess.

well;

1- they do some of the best mobile deals

2- now its Currys PC world Carphone Warehouse, they donā€™t just do phones, they do large electrical items too

Such as washing machines and freezers and thatā€¦:grin:

Tbf this is something many companies still use - Tesco still uses green screen for their stock control system even though the same data is also displayed in many other more modern ways

2 Likes

Three UK doesnā€™t accept Monzo or Metro Bank!

Editā€¦ Iā€™m referring to for ID since this thread is about that. They do accept it in other contacts.

Good olā€™ MS DOS. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes they do Iā€™m on Three and used Monzo details.

You used a Monzo card as ID for a new contract in-store? Which is what this thread is about.

They support it online, for direct debits, etc.