Card swipe not registered on Tube journey

Hello, I use my Monzo card to travel on the underground in London. On three separate occasions in the last 2 weeks TFL has been unable to determine where my journey started/ended and therefore charged me the maximum fare. I am certain that each time I ‘touched in/out’ at the ticket barrier as the gates opened and I was not tailgating.

I have been refunded for the journeys. Does anyone else have this problem?

Nope, did you hear the beep?

Maybe you should talk to TfL?

I know you don’t have to wait for the gate to close, but I don’t think it’ll work properly if you touch in/out while the light is still green.

1 Like

I’ve used my Monzo card a load on the tube and never had this issue. Are you using your card or apple/google pay?

I always wait for the Green Light. OK I usually use buses, or one daily train journey, not tubes.

Also it does take a little bit longer than my old Barclays (Visa) debit card to read on the Oystercard readers.

Thank you for all the responses. I don’t think I am doing anything wrong with the card when I swipe. Previously I always used a different debit card and never had this problem. Also, the last time that it failed to register my swipe, I distinctly remember that it was my card that activated the gate, I was pushing a pram through the luggage gate and there had been no one in front. Thank you for your replies, I will just have to see if it happens again.

Could be something wrong with your card? I’ve heard of cards being faulty before. If it keeps happening, talk to us in the app—you might just need a new one :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve recently become a commuter on the Tube and on a few different occasions I’ve touched in/out and got the beep and the barrier open but I’ve recieved notifications saying that I didn’t touch in/out.

I am using Apple Pay on my iPhone on all occasions, it mainly appears to be happening at one station (of the two I go to). The other day I also had a code 99 appear on a screen and tried 3 different barriers.