Card swipe not registered on Tube journey

Hello, I use my Monzo card to travel on the underground in London. On three separate occasions in the last 2 weeks TFL has been unable to determine where my journey started/ended and therefore charged me the maximum fare. I am certain that each time I ‘touched in/out’ at the ticket barrier as the gates opened and I was not tailgating.

I have been refunded for the journeys. Does anyone else have this problem?

(Starling Guru) #2

Nope, did you hear the beep?

Maybe you should talk to TfL?

(Change Works) #3

I know you don’t have to wait for the gate to close, but I don’t think it’ll work properly if you touch in/out while the light is still green.

(Caspar Aremi) #4

I’ve used my Monzo card a load on the tube and never had this issue. Are you using your card or apple/google pay?

(Paul G) #5

I always wait for the Green Light. OK I usually use buses, or one daily train journey, not tubes.

Also it does take a little bit longer than my old Barclays (Visa) debit card to read on the Oystercard readers.

Thank you for all the responses. I don’t think I am doing anything wrong with the card when I swipe. Previously I always used a different debit card and never had this problem. Also, the last time that it failed to register my swipe, I distinctly remember that it was my card that activated the gate, I was pushing a pram through the luggage gate and there had been no one in front. Thank you for your replies, I will just have to see if it happens again.

(Tim) #7

Could be something wrong with your card? I’ve heard of cards being faulty before. If it keeps happening, talk to us in the app—you might just need a new one :slightly_smiling_face:

(Ashley) #8

I’ve recently become a commuter on the Tube and on a few different occasions I’ve touched in/out and got the beep and the barrier open but I’ve recieved notifications saying that I didn’t touch in/out.

I am using Apple Pay on my iPhone on all occasions, it mainly appears to be happening at one station (of the two I go to). The other day I also had a code 99 appear on a screen and tried 3 different barriers.