Card delivery, imprint of card details (white ink) left on packaging

One small issue with delivery is that the letter the monzo bank card came attached to had rubbed against the card, leaving my name and card number visible on the card. This is a bit of a security risk, so I’d suggest using glue as a barrier to stop it happening.

I was going to mention the same thing. The silver print of the card number and name had rubbed off on to the blue card and could be read fairly easily.

Hello

I received my current account preview card in the post today.

When I went to pop the blue envelope thing in the recycling I noticed my card number, expiry date and name were kind of etched or transfered into the back of it.

It looks a little bit like the whole package had got a little bit squashed and the debit card has moved a few mm scratching the white ink from the numbers into the envelope.

I’d imagine that’s not meant to happen as I’d be popping my card details in the bin if I didn’t notice!

Anyone else had anything similar?

I noticed the same with my Monzo card.

Also noticed it with other banks cards.

Hey there, just received my current account card (which I’m hyped about!) But noticed an issue. So I love the design of the card! The hot coral with the white raised typeface is so different, and I love the effort and attention to detail with sending the cards in the dark blue card, looks great and it shows you care about presentation, however, the white from the card typeface actually rubs onto the dark blue card leaving a very clear print of itself (although obviously reversed) permanently on the packaging. I suggest maybe affixing clear plastic either stuck to the blue packaging between the cutouts on the back where the card number etc sits against it or a clear film that can be removed by the user on the front of the card itself to stop it from transferring the white colouring? I hope this all makes sense :slight_smile:

Hi Martin,

I think this is being looked at, was mentioned somewhere here

I had the same issue with the number appearing on the cardboard holder. What I also noticed was a faint imprint of the number on the inside of the envelope.

A minor security issue.

I received my current account card, however the white embossed card number, expiry and my name were rubbed/transferred onto the back the welcome card. Which I had to rip up and securely throw away.

Perhaps the card had just been printed and inserted into the welcome card before it had time to dry or it was squashed in the post transferring the embossed details onto the welcome card.

It’s like deja vu all over again. :wink:

There’s a discussion for this already. @alexs will be along in a minute to tidy things up.

1 Like

D’oh, looks like I didn’t scroll down far enough in this forum to spot similar posts! Thanks!

@sebf No problem, I merged it now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I’m looking forward to being allowed to sign up for a Monzo current account (I didn’t have the prepaid as I wanted to wait for the real account), and I’m wondering if you’d ever consider switching to unembossed cards?

These cards are really popular in the US but sadly rare here. Basically, they’re cards without the embossed numbers (used for carbon printer impressions). By removing the now-unnecessary embossing, the card becomes much thinner in the wallet, and much more durable as the silver on those numbers wears so quickly.

1 Like

Not a bad idea, the nice silver is all gone from both my Mondo and CA card, as every other card in my wallet…

3 Likes

With ASDA and other retailers in UK falling back to manual impression machines when their systems fail just this year and last, and travellers facing them in parts of the US and further afield I would object to losing this feature. Plus also an accessibility issue as can be touch read by some blind people

1 Like

I’ve just had a quick google and only Visa comes back with anything about unembossed cards and they have apparently only approved in the US.

I did google more specifically about MasterCard and U.K. and I’m not sure they support it yet so maybe it’s something that MasterCard need to work on instead of Monzo but I’m sure they could give them a nudge towards it.

The accessibility issue could be dealt with by laser-engraving so the numbers were still raised, just not as much.

The fallback issue - I can’t remember the last time that’s happened to me. Would a cashier even know what to do with the embossed numbers anymore? I’ve had magstripe fallback happen a couple times, most recently about a year ago at our student union, but never all the way to embossed numbers!

Fallback last occurred in some ASDA stores earlier in 2017

1 Like

I have a MasterCard in the US (CapitalOne 360 debit card) that is unembossed, but I didn’t think there might be different rules for each country.

I am willing to risk it. Where do I sign for my unembossed card :eyes:

2 Likes

This has been mentioned here albeit under a different topic