📺💬 Captioning Monzo's videos

After the February Open Office, I spent about six or so hours writing full manual subtitles for the entire stream. I did this on a whim but with accessibility in mind and based on previous experience subtitling anime.

My question is, are subtitles/a full transcript of video and audio content useful to the community? Is YouTube’s automatic transcription service enough or should either the community or Monzo take this seriously?

Would love to hear any thoughts on this. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

One thought so far “Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put in”. Even if only one or two people need it it will have been worth it

Edited the OP to include links to what I did. There are a few issues I’m aware of that include some long line lengths towards the start and some funky timing (mostly due to fast speaking rates and run-on sentences).

The YouTube generated subtitles are different in that they appear word by word in real-time, rather than line by line. What I’d actually like to do if this became a regular thing is keep YouTube’s timing but fix up the whole script since timing is the hardest part to get right for this kind of live content.

@RichardR

Would you mind if we added these to the Youtube video?

This is amazing Richard- our conversation on Tuesday it got me thinking about how important it is to consider and accommodate the complete spectrum of customer needs in our community activity and content (as we do in our product) . Sounds like it took a while, but it would be nice to think we could pick up your lead from this in some way.

Sure, go ahead! Just check the longer lines to make sure they don’t get clipped by YouTube’s formatting. I can break them up if there are any issues but it’s a balance against the timing and making sure the lines are up long enough to be readable.

1 Like

Thanks! It also looks like Youtube can do an ‘auto-syncing’ feature, where you input the text and they match that up to the words — which might be the answer to your comments above. Do you know if this works? If you can export a file with just all the words (eg. no timing information) I could try it :slight_smile:

Little bit of mangling it a text editor later.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxu_8VUME9sSaUlmYUhxdmhVWEk/view?usp=sharing

And here’s the same file with (guessed in some cases) speaker names.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxu_8VUME9sSTlBTOWxsYnc2VDA/view?usp=sharing

Alright, uploading now so fingers crossed. It looks like we can also make subtitles a community contributed thing through Youtube cc @Naji

Correct, Tom Scott does it for all of his videos. It requires somebody to allow and then approve them though. The same applies to translations of those captions.

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for transcribing this. I greatly prefer watching video content with subtitles/a transcript available and I’ve subtitled a few much shorter videos so I know how much effort it takes to do.

1 Like

OK, all uploaded :slight_smile: I used your .srt file as that seemed to make the most sense. Thanks! I’ll leave @Naji to follow up on how we can make this easy in the future

I generally find that the automatic transcripts are ok but it is really useful to be able to search a transcript for key terms & know that I’ll find the result. Obviously that makes it much easier to then find the section of the video that contains the content that I’m looking for so thanks for doing this!

I think transcripts are very useful for those of us who are quite videophobic but prefer to read our content

1 Like

It’s 3AM and I have nothing better to do.

###How to Monzo: Check Your Limits and Verify Your Identity

6 Likes

Great work…thank you @RichardR