Can you use a Monzo card in South Korea? 🇰🇷

:kr:
I wonder if you can use Monzo Card in South Korea.

Yes, it will work fine. There are no charges for spending, always pay in won though not in pounds.

Cash withdrawals may not work - when they do you can take 200 out every 30 days before you’re charged 3%. Just make sure the ATM has the MasterCard logo and it should be fine.

I’ve activated Monzo Card on Apple Pay. Will it work in Korea?

1 Like

Yes, it will work fine at most places.

1 Like

IMG_5240 IMG_5241 IMG_5243 IMG_5245 IMG_5264

Why can’t I get Apple Pay working?

I don’t understand a single thing written on these photos but judging by the little icons it’s because those shops don’t take MasterCard…

1 Like

They need to support Mastercard, those places only take Visa JCB and Unionpay. Keep an eye out for the Mastercard logo - in those places it should be fine.

Monzo is a fairly ‘new’ card (in comparison to bigger banks in the UK) and so may not always function there as well as others might.

ed11b0ce3e1348a2ae2

The location where the MasterCard logo is attached also does not work. The computer says the information failed to recognize the card.

Then I think you’re out of luck - seems it’s not going to work well for you.

It’s likely due to out of date card databases, Monzo still doesn’t work for me at my local small Co-op so getting it to work in South Korea is pushing it a bit. Does it not work when you insert the card?

I left my card at home and tried Apple Pay, but the complete text appears on the Apple Pay screen, but the card payment is not working.
It’s the same if you go to every store.
The last picture shows an error code of 0Q, which means “0Q: It’s not a deal denied.”

Try Revolut- they have visa.

Revolut Visa? Isn’t that a master card?
5afc045c2c337 DEw8dqMXgAE9BBx

I think they have Visa options as well- I have Revolut Mastercard but my friend was handed a Visa card during one of their events. It might be worth checking this thread, as I faced the same issue when I was in South Korea (Monzo in South Korea 🇰🇷 [Discussion]). I think Rika mentioned here that it was an issue with the chip positioning, but that should be resolved in the recent batch of cards.

Newly issued standard cards are all Visas - premium options are MasterCard.

1 Like

South Korea don’t accet Apple Pay as they have Samsung pay (an obivous competitor of Apple). As an advantage of Samsung’s home country, they do not accept Apple pay nationally. Normal payment without going through Apply phone must be working.

2 Likes

You can use monzo card(only plastic) in kroea. Most of stores accept master card and visa both so don’t worry. It won’t make you embarrassed.
And APPLE PAY…
I hope so but NO. (I’m a Korean)
Apple pay is not supported in South Korea. Many people think that Samsung does not allow to work but it is absolutely wrong. It is not certain but I heard that apple was fail to discuss the card commission fees with card companies in Korea. Also, the government should change the card reader machine to support contactless. This is why apple pay is not activated in South Korea. Cheers!

2 Likes

That’s just not true at all - I’m presuming you’re presenting a guess as fact. Back in Feb 2019, Monzo didn’t work in most shops. They have particularity unique banking requirements for to their state of war.

Thanks for the info above.
Will Monzo or Revolut work on the S Korean underground train system?

Hello - are there any updates about using Monzo in South Korea? Can you use it on the underground/public transport? Also how about on ApplePay after they allow that now.

Also how does it work to withdraw cash? Are there only certain cash machines it will take without extra charge?

Thanks in advance.