Can I invest in the current/latest funding round or not?

I am a current investor via the Crowdcube funding round that happened awhile ago - should I be getting updates on these kind of things from Monzo?

I only saw this via a news article: https://sifted.eu/articles/monzo-downround-coronavirus/

Apparently it’s not going particularly well but I wouldn’t mind throwing some extra money in. Can anyone advise?

I hope they also include existing Crowdcube investors in this downround as I’d be happy to invest more.

1 Like

It would take a lot of effort for a crowdfunding round

I think it’s just institutional

1 Like

I don’t think so, no.

Welcome! I also invested in the Crowdcube round last time out, but I didn’t hear anything about this round (other than the same news you heard). These are, I think, worrying times for the company – being reliant on external funding is dangerous when investors are looking to be cautious. But if it can get through this, that will be a good sign of resiliency.

These are usually the times when Warren Buffett looks to put Berkshire Hathaway’s cash pile to some use – anyone got his number?

Seriously?
When a journalist cannot mention anything great about Monzo apart from the equivalent of 1 day of Revolut users growth “during Q4 2019, with a total of 20,843 net switches.”, one must just laugh.

https://www.altfi.com/article/6584_monzo-sees-valuation-plummet-by-nearly-40-in-latest-fundraising-bid

1 Like

People are allowed opinions that differ from yours, you know.

2 Likes

Different opinions on the interweb? That’ll never fly

3 Likes

Is there official word on whether this round will be opened up to Crowdcube investors?

There won’t be a crowdfund without proper notice and advertising. This has not happened. So the next rows fund would not likely be soon.

I would be more than willing to invest further into Monzo and I am sure they could raise well over £40 mil from its current investors and more than £80 mil if all customers were allowed to invest in Monzo even if the valuation of Monzo was higher than the previous valuation so why are the board and Tom B accepting a 40% reduction in valuation from previous VC’s and not allowing crowdfunding investors to participate in this funding round? Sounds like a deal to allow previous VC’s to make a lot of money when Monzo does IPO in 3/4 years but crowdcube investors will miss out.

hmmm because anybody wanting to put their £100 in to double their stake ends up costing Monzo a lot compared with a VC putting in £5 million

2 Likes

I think it’s extremely disappointing that they didn’t reach out to previous investors and I didn’t even know anything about this round

It takes a lot of effort to organise a crowdfunding round, considering Monzo is having to make redundancies it doesn’t seem like a good use of their time. Especially when they can easily garner investment from their existing investors.

4 Likes

And say what?

“Hi. Thanks for investing last time. This round isn’t for you”

there has been quite a lot of comment in the press / twitter / forum feed about it over the last few months

Exactly.

To use an analogy it would be like Ticketmaster sending me an email all about an amazing concert I might be interested in then mentioning it was a private gig with no public access.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.