Buying a car

Yeah that’s the plan, I’m not driving until I get the go ahead.

Also remember it’s down to my psychiatrist and how much I’ve progressed since then.

My last review was 6 months ago, and I wasnt considering a car then so dont know why I said I couldn’t drive

1 Like

Cool, good luck :+1:

Owning a car is expensive, insurance, road tax, buying the thing and keeping it maintained all adds up.

I don’t know much about the condition itself but what if it flairs up again? It would be devastating to be paying all that money for a car to potentially have it sat outside your flat for 6 months until you can be reviewed again.

Insurers would charge you for cancelling early, you won’t be able to declare your car as sorn because you don’t have off street parking and so on… Just some other things for you to consider :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Speaking of insurance, it is likely that a condition that’s notifiable to the DVLA would also have to be declared to insurers in which case affordable insurance is (most likely) out the window.

Not all of them, anymore. A few have transitioned to a monthly subscription model with no minimum term. Aviva Plus springs to mind here. The cover is technically still 12 months, but you cancel fee free at any time.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/12/aviva-launches-monthly--subscription--insurance-service---what-y/

You’ll be able to leave at any point penalty-free. There’s no annual contract, so Aviva says customers won’t face any charges if they want to change policies or cancel. There’s no notice period, so you can cancel at any time.

Apps like Cuvva may also work out better depending on how regularly they intend to be driving it.

2 Likes

Unlikely as I take medication which now means I can live a fairly normal life and I’ve been out of hospital a few years now . My psychiatrist can also look at all my records over the past few years and make the decision. I also spoke to one of my carers who said plenty of people drive with schizophrenia and its fine considering they’ve been well and went through all the procedures.

Thanks anyway. No more scooter for me . Just my bike for now and then hopefully a car . I’ll still keep the bike for cardio

4 Likes

I’d probably just stick with the bike. Better for you, better for your wallet, and better for the planet.

1 Like

Well the whole idea of a car is to have a run around as one of my carers with a car is no longer working with me.
It also makes it easier for me to get back into work. Hopefully next year some employment.

Just to clarify I’m not driving until I get permission from the DVLA . I just like to be pro active and learn about cars and what to look out for . Thanks guys :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thanks dude .

I dont have a credit card but most I’ve seen on auto trader do accept debit cards.
I’ve checked a few dealerships out and some of the reviews are worrying . However like most reviews, people only leave one if something goes wrong, you dont hear about all the sales which were good. At least with a dealership you have someone to go back to if any issues

Like I said I’ll go with a family member who knows what to look out for. Still a while away yet as I have to go through the procedure for declaring medical conditions

1 Like

Hopefully you’ll find a job closer to home.

Since working from home, my car seems excessive. My girlfriend can drive and there’s probably only been two or three occasions in the last 8 months that we’ve needed both cars at the same time.

But every month I still have to pay for tax, insurance, money aside from serving/MOT.

But I am glad I bought a car outright instead of getting a lease, I’d have definitely regretted that!

1 Like

Yeah the closer the better, only live in a small town so getting work outside of it would be tricky without a car. The bus service is unreliable and would want to use as minimal public transport as possible

Just had a look at insurance quotes and even with the medical condition I can still get affordable insurance. In fact its even cheaper than my sky bill each month, which is reassuring

Have to wait until I get a decision from the dvla and then check to get the most accurate quote as they may give me a " restricted license " which does bring the price up

1 Like

Was warned not to do speculative insurance quotes as when I do come to insure in a few months time it may affect it.

Just looking at quotes and can’t see which of these suits me ? I live in a block of flats and we have our own parking spaces.

First few options …

Then if I click other, I get these …

Driveway if it fronts onto the building.

1 Like

Thanks dude . Couldn’t quite figure out which one was most accurate.

Just waiting to hear back from the DVLA now then it’ll be time to get some refresher lessons

Someone else said it’s a public car park, as with a drive way nobody else can nudge your car

I’d say either street or open public carpark. I would assume that anyone can park there and bump the car whereas on a driveway it’s much less likely.

2 Likes

Yes sounds spot on.

Apparently in some cases open public car parks are cheaper premium than drive way as on a driveway people know where the keys to the vehicle are. Not 100% sure how accurate that is.

Thanks anyway guys, after some more reading it will probably be a public car park :+1:t3:

It’s easier to predict the winning lottery numbers than the criteria insurance providers apply for their quotes. I think they just get one of those lottery machines and the first two balls that come out are your quote

3 Likes

That would make sense also.

Try not to get caught up in looking for the cheapest options to choose and just be honest and accurate. In the event of a claim insurers will look for any excuse not to pay out - if in doubt contact them.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ordog
When I come to insure I’ll definitely call them up to clarify. Maybe if I went directly to the insurer as opposed to moneysupermarket they may have something more precise.

What would a " unlocked compound " be ? Industrial estate or something?

Ok done some reading and a compound by definition is a an area which is full fenced all the way around , either with a gate or without one. So your probably right in saying open public car park