Broadband: Which providers have the best deals?

You can also hack it… it runs linux

1 Like

Hdmshsalsbsldkosslsk grrrr google.
I understand sexy wrappers for avg consumers, but secret admin tools for super users would be right up googles alley, best of both worlds, but no they want to be annoying. :unamused::unamused:

2 Likes

As this is the money saving/financial part of the forum. Please remember to go via topcashback if you are signing up to any new broadband service via their website. I just got 95 quid from BT plus another £135 pre paid mastercard from BT themselves due to an offer they have on. It’s all in all resulted in my broadband being about £15 per month

Here’s my referral link if anyone is interested

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/willsk90

3 Likes

I’d love to grab a Google Wifi kit but I have a decent size wired network, and I’m a bit concerned by the single ethernet port

or Quidco

They’re fantastic! I would highly recommend :grin:

Just stick a switch into that single port and you’ve got infinite wired capability :wink:

That’s all I do - ‘modem’ to Google WiFi to switch to 2nd Google WiFi and 15+ wired devices split across 2 switches etc. It’s nice and straightforward :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes or Quidco. I actually use both but have found more often than not topcashback has a fractionally better offer

i would have expected that’d be a bit of a bottleneck, no?

You’ll be limited by the capacity of the Google WiFi’s Ethernet port for outside (WAN) and WiFi communication, but for Ethernet to Ethernet you’ll be limited by your switch.

With the awful connections most people have in the UK it wouldn’t be a problem - your bottleneck will still be the rusty copper coming into your home, or “fibre” as some scammers call it. :upside_down_face:

Nah you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

You’ll get 1gbps throughout your LAN. Stuff will go switch to switch anyway, i.e. a NAS won’t send 1gbps to Google WiFi and back to the switch to your client device.

I have a reasonably busy network, plenty of 1gbps file transfers to and from my NAS over SMB etc. Plus Plex, YouTube, music streams.

You’ll likely have no issues :slight_smile: think about it this way, a 4port router is just LAN + WAN + a switch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is very strange.

I’ve got the super hub 2. I upgraded to 100 mb and had no problems, they then upgraded me (speed boost) to 150 mb and I had problems weekly. I’ve since downgraded to 50mb broadband only, and have only had one problem since! That’s 8 months since I downgraded

I entered into a new 12 month contract for 350Mb with Virgin around a new month ago.
I then received notice it was going up to £45! I called up and got given a credit to cover the extra costs. Ever since, the performance at night has been shocking.

I’m thinking of phoning up today and saying I’ve had enough and go elsewhere. I know speeds won’t be anywhere near the same but they’re so up and down lately anyway!

Check if you can get Hyperoptic. You won’t be disappointed.

2 Likes

Sadly I can’t get them. I’m based in Scotland but I keep a very close eye on them. Minute it’s hear I’d be all over that :slight_smile:

I can vouch for their Customer Service and the Speeds. I have a 150mb connection but never actually get 150mb always around 200mb :smiley: and that’s upload and downloads both.

3 Likes

Incredibly jealous of those upload speeds!
I’m getting 350Mb/s just now but it’s heavily traffic managed in the evenings :tired_face:

I moved home yesterday and Hyperoptic had to redo the install so did a speed test about 8pm last night which is suppose to peak time, this is what I got on WiFi. If it was wired it would touch 200mbs

2 Likes

Even your ping test is unreal!!

1 Like

Yeah, 1ms ping… is that even possible outside of internal networks…?

Liam

Sure is

1 Like