Anyone heard of Onestream?

Looking to switch Broadband as PlusNet will roll onto almost £50 a month after contract :scream:

Saw on money saving expert that Onestream was one of options. No cashback/voucher but seems cheap.

£18.95 and you can pick 12, 18, 24 length

Am I crazy to think about the 24 month to lock in this monthly? Or do you think they’ll be better option in 12mths?

Kinda worried they will be a right pain, and be stuck with them. The only neg I’ve noticed is they stick on two add-ons that if you don’t cancel you pay which seems really bad practice and bit of a red flag.

Remember to cancel the add-ons and you’ll be fine.
Oh, and the included router will be absolute trash. Might be worth getting your own router.

2 Likes

Hm I’ve just been having a read up. They really seem to have been profiteering out of those scammy add-ons and making it difficult to cancel. Also support is non existent so only good if nothing goes wrong.

The router seems super basic too so £ added buying your own seems to make the offer rubbish unless you own a decent one and setup.

I don’t think I want to support their business model tbh :thinking:

So I can see Now Broadband is doing 12 months at £22 with an annoying make the customer pay £5 delivery for their router.

Shell Broadband doing a deal with £100 Amazon gift card and 18 months for the price of 16. Meh :neutral_face:

Might call PlusNet retention first and see if they are willing to give me the same deal as new customers with the £70 voucher :+1:

2 Likes

Definitely worth giving Plusnet a call. Make sure you get through to the final retention level though. You will have to be willing to cancel.
Depending on who you have your mobile with, you may get a converged offer if you get broadband with them :+1:

2 Likes

Check out topcashback, Quidco, and depending if you’re in a Three coverage area, Three 5G broadband circa £20 a month.

3 Likes

We are rolling out a new finance consolidation tool called onestream…. This title confused me a lot! I will say I liked plusnet. I only moved as I got hyperoptic in my building.

Is there a particular reason you’re going for this offer for £19 with this specific provider or are you just looking for the cheapest?

I’m looking for the cheapest 55Mb+ tbh but not wanting to make life harder with potentially messed up switchover, crappy router or flaky stability or throttling etc

I’ve tried pretty much all providers over the years, so far Sky/Now and PlusNet have been the best experience. Never heard of Onestream or anyone who’s used them.

I haven’t used Shell Broadband, but I’ve dealt with their incompetence re energy.

Currently getting about 60Mbps which is adequate. Wouldn’t want it any slower.

1 Like

Yeah I think I have Sky/Now as my potential switch to use as my bargaining chip.

Just triple checking my end date with PlusNet as I remember you can be screwed on termination fees. :sweat_smile:

I used to hate the fact you are locked in for such a long time but with the world a mess that might be a good thing.

They’ll warm you of any fees before ending the contract.
If you’ve had no problems with Plusnet then it’s highly likely you’ll have no problems with any other Openreach-based supplier, as long as initial switch over goes smoothly :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

These two components are often mutually exclusive. Find a compromise. Plus Net is probably already the right compromise, depending on where you live.

As far as the big VDSL providers, Sky were always my favourite. NOW will just be reselling Sky I presume, but with the option to avoid a contract.

Smaller providers are worth a look for service quality, like Zen. In the cheap areas you’ll pay more than Plus Net, but in the expensive areas, where the big guys extort you (remote villages), the smaller guys like Zen tend to be the cheapest with their flat pricing. Plus Net costs more than AAISP where I live, and we cant get any of their offers, ever, because we’re not in Market 3 (BT Monopoly here essentially).

Cuckoo is popular among some folks here. And they get praised fairly highly. They’re the most Monzo-esque of broadband providers.

2 Likes

Just phoned up and managed to convince PlusNet to do £23.99 with a £75 reward card. Should be able to use PayPal to extract that money off it.

((23.99*24)-75) / 24

Works out £20.87 a month.

Have 14 days to stop that if need be. Advantage is nothing changes apart from my bill reducing and being sent the reward card.

Going to see what Now Broadband can do. The only thing I’m expecting is to wave the £5 router delivery tbh.

That’s £21 but at 12 months. I’m not sure if I prefer the 12mth or 24mth lock in. :thinking::man_shrugging: Also potential for switchover mess up and I work from home now :neutral_face:

1 Like

When you say 24 month lock in… I’m pretty sure you’ll still get yearly price rises attached to CPI. Double check the contract.

3 Likes

:man_shrugging: who on earth made that allowed as part of a contract? CPI + 3.9%

So March 2023 and March 2024 it could go up 15% ? :scream:

Seems like that’s tricking the average person on the street.

The price for broadband, line rental, call plans, call
charges, and any BT Sport service signed up to on or after 9th December 2020, will be increased on or after 1st March every year from March 2022 by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published in January of that year plus 3.9%.

2 Likes

This is a boon of the smaller players. They don’t pull crap like this. The ISP I’ve been with for many years now have only ever lowered prices. Never raised them. Though I’m not locked into a contract so it really incentivises not screwing the customer over.

With that said though, even accounting the increases, your plus net offer still a good deal, and is still a decent price afterwards.

2 Likes

It is absolutely a horrible practice, especially with interest rates like they are right now.
It’s not technically wrong… But morally I think it is.

3 Likes

Raising by CPI every year is standard, especially after all the mobile companies got hauled up for raising prices every year when it wasn’t in the contract! Raising by CPI+x% isn’t “immoral”, but it’s greedy. Something else to factor in over 24 months, but it’s essentially how a free market works.

It may be standard, but I consider corporate greed pretty immoral…

2 Likes

Looks like it’s only very very recently a thing though of adding in CPI.

I’ve just cancelled my PlusNet order, over 24mths it works out badly.

12 * £21 with Now Broadband it is :white_check_mark: even if they raise in March that’s only April,May,June,July, August to deal with being a quid more.

Just found via TopCashback there’s a cracking deal.

£76.50 cashback :saluting_face:

Turns the avg cost into about 14 quid a month for ~63 Mbps in my man maths.

Ready for switch on the 14th Sept now :+1:

1 Like

Telecoms companies have been adding this onto contracts for years.

You have the power, as the consumer, to shop around. Bad deals tend not to be popular for long, anyway, in the market. It’s also “immoral” for the company not to factor in how they’ll pay their workforce when inflation rises at CPI rate.