Bringing Monzo.me to Everyone

I presume Monzo internal email - that seems to be sent to people that have sent me money through Monzo.me

At least thatā€™s ok thenā€¦ One less bit of private information not being freely disclosed to everyone else.

Iā€™ve been told by support (very politely) that itā€™s not possible for a Monzo.me username to just be your first name. Apparently the last name is required for fairness (so two people with the same first name arenā€™t arguing over who has the right to use it) and to make sure payments reach the intended user. I know they were just passing on the policy, so Iā€™m raising it here to see if any of the Monzo staff on the forum can shed further light on this issue.

In both cases, you still have the exact same problem if two people have the same first name and last name, which is not uncommon. If there are two people named John Smith, who has the right to the /johnsmith username? How do you know when sending a payment which one itā€™s going to? Regarding being sure who youā€™re sending the money to, my full name and profile photo are displayed on the Monzo.me page, regardless of the URL. Any chance of a change in policy here? Iā€™d love to have a nice short Monzo.me URL.

:pray:

I can answer how this is done for now.

The first johnsmith would be johnsmith, any further would have a number added to the end.

Thatā€™s done first come first serve by the system, which is much fairer than humans manually editing it.

It is not something weā€™re currently looking at now, but Iā€™ll see where I might be able to raise it or get a fleshed out policy.

1 Like

It could be nice if this policy might get relaxed in future, although it doesnā€™t presently seem as if it will. The concept of monzo-me seems to be most useful in being used with friends; Iā€™ve known people in life who donā€™t use their actual name at all, they go by something else entirely. In one case, finding out that one friends first name wasnā€™t actually the name that everybody knows him by (Kenny - and even his family use it) was a complete shock those assembled at the time! :smile:

There was somebody else on another thread who explained that his name is long, hyphenated and awkward to spell, so everbody knows him as a contraction of the abbreviation. I canā€™t recall who it was though, sorry.

If the idea is to be accurate and appropriate rather than just ā€˜legalā€™, peopleā€™s links should reflect what people in their lives would generally know them as. Unless thereā€™s some fraud aspect to this that isnā€™t immediately obvious.

If it meant that some of the super-convenient abbreviated usernames get snapped up early (like MattC, or BethS, or DannyB) and this is considered to be unfair to future customers, well couldnā€™t we instead consider that a bonus for being early adopters of Monzo in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Council tax cost pushes up my monthly bills to more than Ā£100 for me so I canā€™t split them using Monzo.me.

I do find the policy slightly unnecessarily restrictive. Nobody with a Monzo current account is able to open one without an ID check so why would the link need to be linked to real names? I was under the impression Monzo.me would work similar to a PayPal which allows for custom usernames. The url/full name issue is more likely to make me NOT use this feature despite it being one of the main reasons I opened a Monzo account.

3 Likes

I would too be interested in the ability to edit my monzo.me URL.

I am blessed/cursed with a very long double barreled surname and 2 middle names which has resulted in me getting a very very long URL.

Cheers!

I believe if you contact support in-app, they should be able to help you! :slight_smile:

However, it has to be related to your names, ie, you canā€™t go from Will, to being called ā€œJohnā€ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers for the tip dude! Gave them a message and my new URL now fits onto a single line :smile:

4 Likes