Boredom at home (lockdown)

Codecademy is fantastic, especially as an introduction to new languages! I’d strongly recommend Treehouse too.

For anyone else looking to get into programming as a beginner, Harvard’s CS50x is a brilliant beginner friendly course you can take online, and completely free.

I’ve been having some fun with hack the box.

1 Like

That’s what I’m using too.

I bit the bullet and paid for it as you get quizzes and real projects to work on (to name a few) which is really helping it sink in and I’m enjoying it too. I ended up getting it for a steal too.

2 Likes

For me mental health is directly linked to physical health so I’ve used the time to REALLY focus on the latter.

As I live alone and there’s no eating/drinking out I’ve got total control other everything I eat/drink. I’ve removed caffeine, alcohol, processed sugar etc and started planning and logging everything I eat. I’m then looking at RDA’s against the breakdown of what I’ve actually achieved and dialling up/down to get as close as possible to 100% across the board.

I’m also spending hours and hours looking through all my spending for the past year and educating myself on how much I essentially waste (mostly on coffee and wine).

All of the above would normally be such a pain in the ass that I’d never stick to it. Right now though it’s taking up loads of empty time and also got to be doing me some good! I’m learning things that will be useful moving forward too. :muscle:t2:

Oh and most importantly I’m giving myself a break and not putting any pressure on myself too! If I end up sitting in my underwear binge watching Star Wars cartoons all morning that’s literally fine. Normally I’d be annoyed at ‘wasting a day’ and ‘not achieving anything’ but right now just getting safely through a day is fine.

2 Likes

I’m not in the UK at the moment but spent a considerable amount of time in lockdown. Now the restrictions are gone I’m finding it difficult to want to go outside and actually do stuff… I just want to stay inside and potter about.

I’m still working full time but find the evenings pretty hard as there’s no social life really at the moment, and I need to distract myself constantly but I’m struggling to find things to do that.

My gf looks after her mum so she’s isolating with her.

My company has said they will sponsor any training or courses that will help your job , mainly aimed at furloughed workers but anyone can take advantage

I’ve bought a huge book on windows group policy but after looking at screens all day in work it’s hard to carry on doing that.

I would do the Paul Hegarty Stanford lectures. These are great for learning

I wish I had more of a opportunity to be bored :persevere:

I’m still working and studying for exams so I don’t have as much free time as I’d like. However, I found myself doing the same stuff all the time in my downtime, mainly just aimlessly browsing the internet.

To stop this, after a certain time I can only use my phone/iPad to make calls or text people - this stops me from wasting a few hours doing nothing online. You can configure this in the screentime settings.

Instead I will read, play on my Xbox, exercise, clean, cook or just sit in the garden and listen to the birds. This really helps me unwind and reduces boredom.

I see New Amsterdam is back on Prime Video.

Will catch up with that when not doing other tasks.

I wonder how that hospital would have handled covid-19 in America :thinking:

May be covered in future storylines.

I’ve just been for a 10k walk whilst the weather was nice, my poor legs are feeling it now though