Blocking direct debits

I’ve seen on Mastodon that a few business with Monzo are having direct debits setup on their accounts by third parties (as they make their account details public for payment reasons).

Would it be possible to get a toggle option to block/disable direct debits - or, ideally, a separate account number which only accepts in-bound payments (and transfers to your “main” Monzo business account)?

I doubt it’s anything that’ll come soon, fortunately you’re covered by the DD scheme rules and as an added bonus, Monzo notify you when ones been set up. So you can at least cancel before payment is taken.

4 Likes

On technical level it should be possible.

I know that Santander has savings account, the sort code accept direct debits, but completing direct debit setup silently fails / get rejected.

What you’re looking for is a collection account like electric companies etc. use. In the absence of that, quoting a savings account number is the way to go as you can’t set up direct debits on those.

It needs to be a proper savings account as some do allow DDs to be created (notably Chase, but there are others).