Bill splitting made simple šŸŽ‰

@cookywook sorry for the @ but would be nice for someone from monzo to clarify here.

So will bill splitting 2.0 (suggested improvements on this thread) now be put on the backburner for a while.

Can we expect bill splitting to stay as is for the forseeable?

Iā€™ve also been meaning to write about this following some real-world experience.

Despite using the bill split feature one friend simply sent me a bank transfer with the money.

I think you need to be able to link the transactions together. When doing so the linked transaction will appear under the bill split.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had the exact same. Many people just seem to prefer using bank transfers than Monzo.me links (at least in my circles)

Itā€™s very frustrating!

From my point of view, it is most frustrating because incoming bank transfers canā€™t be categorized and it breaks the summary feature! Get it sorted Monzo!

8 Likes

Hit the nail on the head with this. A lot of my requests with bill splitting are really just workarounds to get Summary to work how I expect it to (i.e. Be reflective of my spending)

If you need to enter card details to pay via Monzo.me then itā€™s a no brainer, bank transfer is easier for most people. Monzo.me works really well though if the other party has Apple Pay set up. Just a few taps and itā€™s done.

3 Likes

Plus, if itā€™s your mates, chances are theyā€™ve already got you set up with their bank for a bank transfer, so itā€™s nice and easy for them.

Bill splitting is a nice idea in theory, but I personally canā€™t see any occasions where Iā€™d use it.

2 Likes

For one of my friends, it wasnā€™t so much the entering the card number that he cared about, it was just that he had to do the verified by Visa process which he couldnā€™t get to verify :joy:

2 Likes

Basically all of this is exactly why Iā€™ve struggled to get anyone to use Monzo.me over transferring it via bank app

6 Likes

It is probably a really insecure idea(in terms of mobile security). But I wonder if NFC and Monzo.me could work together somehow.

If I split the bill the wrong amount, is there a way for me to go back and change the split?

I think it needs to be made clear somewhere that you canā€™t receive more than Ā£100 from someone who hasnā€™t got Monzo.

7 Likes

I KNEW I wasnā€™t the only one with this problem! I cannot remove a split I added nor can I add new splits so itā€™s just sitting in limbo in my accounts now and I have to take payments from friends manually (instead of it being attached to said transaction). The ability is what I would expect as a basic feature. I agree with most on here, whilst I still love Monzo often it feels as if you guys are releasing these ā€˜featuresā€™ without fully being tested. Surely this would be a typical capability of splitting a bill?

3 Likes

Where does it ā€˜sitā€™ in the app? Iā€™ve never invoked this function.

Within the transaction itā€™s attached to, under ā€˜Split billā€™.

Any idea when Bill splitting is going to be updated so that I can add a non Monzo user?

Screenshot_20181027-171606

Is it possible to edit the name of non-Monzo user bill splits to display the actual names rather than just ā€œFriend 1ā€, ā€œFriend 2ā€ etc?

3 Likes

This and the ability for the app to register which non-Monzo user has paid would be great.

5 Likes

This just occurred to meā€¦ I wonder if you currently require at least 1 friend on monzo to get that next button :thinking: since thatā€™s really the only difference between our screenshots.

Tbh, the entire process of adding a non-monzo friend currently feels very much unfinished and rushed in.

2 Likes

Can we have bill splitting for ā€˜committed spendingā€™ / reoccurring payments?

I house share, as Iā€™m sure many others do, and the ability to have bills split automatically would be absolutely fantastic!

2 Likes