Bill Splitting 4

Yeah this would be good. I was just about to spend £1000 on 20 tickets to a festival. I then realised there was a limit of 6 per person, so I had to send money to three friends. My spending now looks ridiculous. Would also be good to have a “Gift” category, as I have said before

Totally agree! The only solution I found was… to constantly raise/lower targets after each transaction. Then knowing, by the end month, how much you changed your targets you can count how much you’ve spent.

This sounds like an ok workaround for now, but sadly I’m on Android and we’ve never had targets!

This problem would be easily solved if we could assign categories for the payment made through monzo.me. Say you spend £10 between two and set it as Entertainment. And other guy pays you £5 and just subtract that amount from that category and total spending. Easy.

A quick way to guess which category a payment should go is to look for the note. It usually has the name of the establishment where you used the card and look at that transactions category.

Or would it be possible to have say the £10’s received removed from the entertainment total spent for the month? This would the total budget spend for the month more realistic!

1 Like

Hi guys,

Something I have thought would be really useful time and time again, is the ability to link or merge a payment in to a payment made. The use case for this is as follows:

Person pays for a supermarket shop for their partner/housemate (e.g. £50)
The two split the bill, the second person pays the first person to their monzo account (e.g. £25)

Current behaviour is that the £50 goes against the Groceries target, and the £25 in just sits there. It would be great to have the payment in detract from the target, as the reality is the first person has only paid £25 towards groceries, but the data reflects it as having spent £50 on groceries.

Perhaps if we could tag payments in with the categories as well, so it would balance out: £-50 tagged as groceries; and £+25 tagged as groceries - this would mean the target spend and reporting would show £25 spent.

Thanks,

Paul.

3 Likes

This has been discussed a few times, I believe it’s on the roadmap for development.

I’ve added your post to the most recent discussion thread.

Ah great, thanks! I hadn’t seen the other posts.

Now I’ve used monzo as my main account, due to shunting money around the spending is totally bogus. As a work around I’m trying to yeah everything is don’t care about as general so at least it’s all in one place

Re: Bill splitting - I’ve mentioned before Monzo should totally partner up with Splitwise - they make a fantastic product! Could this be done???

You definitely are not alone - I live wth my fiancé and we want to know how much we spend individually but we frequently eat out together, go to the cinema together etc and we’d benefit a LOT from this addition.

Agreed. Just split a bill for a pizza order using the ‘split bill using monzo.me’ feature - now looks like I spent £40 on pizza and go some random top-ups from friends.

The payments from friends could be ‘rolled up’ under the original purchase, with a new ‘net total’ being displayed on the original purchase line.

2 Likes

This was raised in November and seems pretty simple really. It’s fundamental to tracking spending that you can net off income against certain items. I often pay for group activities and people transfer me the money. My categorised spending looks rediculous and it’s simply not worth tracking without this feature.

Hey, posting here as it’s where the link from the in app sneak peaks takes me. It’s about the ‘Keep track of who’s paid you back for lunch’ - this looks fantastic. My only question is why it’s only being developed for bills split with more than one person? Most of my bill splits are with just one person and this feature would definitely still be useful for those.