Bill splits/shared tabs for connected card payments (Plus, Premium)

I mentioned this within another topic, but posting it in a thread of its own so that it doesn’t get buried!

I would really like to be able to do bill splits for payments on my connected cards (i.e. I buy coffee for myself and my partner on my new AMEX card and want to request half of the money from his Monzo account). It would be helpful to do this in some form for pending payments as well, so that I can request straight away and not risk forgetting!

2 Likes

And to add to shared tabs!

1 Like

Not critiquing how you live your life, but do you honestly do this?

I’ve updated the title to include shared tabs as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This exact example rarely, it is more likely to be paying for meals for myself and three friends and then doing a bill split. etc My finances are separate from my partner so whilst I don’t mind occasionally buying him a coffee, I am not going to pay for it every day (I do get coffee far too regularly!) Anyway…

5 Likes

I have friends who are in long term relationships, and they put everything they buy together on a shared tab. So if one buys coffees for both, it goes on etc. etc.

Each to their own.

5 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for here. It’s hard to organise my shared tabs when I use my AMEX.

2 Likes

I do this :point_up_2:

I have a amex card with my gf as a supplementary cardholder and then we add everything to a shared tab so that it can be paid off each month and we get the avios points/travel companion voucher.

So being able to bill split/shared tab a connected card would be the thing that makes me get plus, until that comes im on the fence

3 Likes

This was my biggest surprise and disappointment after getting Mono Plus - the fact that you can’t add transactions from non-Monzo cards to Shared tabs.

I’m making huge assumptions, but, from my point of view, the implementation of this feature wouldn’t require crazy amounts of new infrastructure:

1. We can already add custom transactions to Shared tabs - as a most basic implementation, you could add a shortcut to non-Monzo transaction that copies over and pre-fills the details
  2. To keep track of whether a non-Monzo transaction was added to a Shared tab, some transaction-level state is needed. Seems that is already possible as we can set custom categories to any transaction
4 Likes

wow Guess I’ll never be paying for monzo then, this is literally the only feature I want

this is so annoying. I’m with barclays and they don’t have this functionality within their app so I would actually pay monzo to let me split bills on their app as this would basically mean I can actually use one app to manage all my money.

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something, but if it’s so important to you then use Monzo instead of Barclays?

Let’s hope it comes along soon. It’s always useful for Monzo to hear this sort of feedback - thanks for sharing!

Is there any update on this? I have multiple shared tabs and especially for holidays/big purchases this feature is needed. In terms of AMEX it would make managing finances easier as at the moment it’s a manual process.

Not seen any update for a while. Still been waiting years just to have the ability to add a note to a bill split (which still isn’t there) so maybe a few more years until this happens. If at all…

4 Likes

Also requesting this. Would be extremely useful

1 Like