✅ Bill Pots (previously Committed Spending Pot)

I like to choose say a set amount for debit card and the rest should be classed as bills like direct debits standing orders and make choices throughout the month if I move from that to my card to spend but I shouldn’t need to do major amounts of transferring only if I think I need too I want automated like all my income goes where I pay my bills then move small set amount to debit card for spending and the rest is for bills and rest should be away from card without me having to do it manually and income is different a lot so not always the same

Is that what happens now using 2 accounts? It automatically knows how much your bills are and transfers the rest without any manual intervention?

4 Likes

the income should automatically go where bills come from and debit card spending should be separate and only moving say a set amount for that is easiest to think about not other way around

Don’t see how that works at present I actually have standing orders to another account for Main debit card spending cause no way set up I have will do what you say yet and just leave money for spending like I have done the now with a external account

What will the new set up do cause I want only small amount for debit card spend my choice not have the system go against me and move it to bills when money comes in weekly etc

I actually want to see all my income go to bills pot then I choose set amount goes to main balance which remains there unless you use your card that would be ideal cut out need for income and bills being separate locations

Take your pay and minus your spending money, then set up a scheduled transfer for that amount into your bills pot each week.

Income isn’t same all the time so that isn’t possible to work out cause I might say I spend £35 a week but want rest for bills without looking at my account my income minus £35 should go to bills pot that week and if income went up or down it would still go Automatically and I should only manually move if I really need be So having a card spend pot is easier cause just need to say £35 weekly auto transfer and job solved but to have the system choose £35 out of my income once a week and the rest of my income that week goes to bills pot it want do it

William im going to be honest and say im really struggling to understand what you want but let me try and give it a go.

Do you want your card to be attached to a pot with your “spending money” which is your excess after bills and then a set amount in your main account (which isnt accessible by card) to be used for taking out all your committed spending?

Sounds like you’ve got it back to front if my assumptions are correct?

I noticed youre new here… Have you tried using summary?

This might help you adapt your thinking to be able to use it the monzo intended way of committed spending (your bills) being forgot about and having a casual spend balance that doesnt take these into account.

What I want is income and bills in one location and card spending in another and only transfer between the two is set amounts to card spending is that simple to understand

I don’t want to be thinking different income figures don’t help when splitting money up so just want simple life

12 Likes

This is a fantastic idea, just surprised it took so long since the community have been asking for it for ages. But since it’s still a new idea. Do you think that you could implement 4 weekly transfers into and out of pots. Because it’s the only feature that I still feel is missing. Since we already support 4 weekly standing orders. Can we do the same for pots. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the fastest way for that to happen would be for you to get an Android phone.

:grin:

2 Likes

I don’t think I could regress backwards towards android :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

iOS all the way

So you’d like the following:

• Income paid into ACCOUNT 1
  • All bills are paid from ACCOUNT 1
  • You make a transfer to ACCOUNT 2 (you’d ideally like this done automatically say every 4 weeks)
  • ACCOUNT 2 is used for all of your day to day spending

Is that correct?

Yes exactly

This would then be achievable in when Committed Spending Pots are released and fully functional.

You would get paid into your MAIN ACCOUNT
You would then move it all into your BILL&INCOME POT (set up as a Committed Spending Pot with all DDs)
You would then have all of your income in this pot and it would be used for all of your bills
Schedule a transfer from that Pot to your MAIN ACCOUNT

1 Like

But you can’t automate it cause income can go up and down and not same all the time so you have to manually do it every time money comes in and that is work when you just move automatically for card payments then it’s simple

What I want is to have to lift no finger when money comes in and it goes where my bills are paid automatically and the automatic transfer of set amount to my card for day to day spending would automatically work and that’s what I like

I didn’t say you could automate it - I get paid the same amount every month so in theory I could automate this.

Making 1 transfer every month isn’t exactly a lot of hassle, is it? I’m always adverse to banking being completely automated because it removes and erodes any responsibility around what and where you should be spending your money.

It seems to me that your preferred set-up requires two bank accounts, unfortunately it doesn’t look like this will be something Monzo implements unfortunately - that being said you could use another bank for bills and Monzo for discretionary spend.

In terms of separating bills and spending - why do you want to do that? You could have it all in the same place - Monzo will actually tell you what you have left after your DDs and SOs have left (even if they haven’t left yet)