Better way to balance your money in Trends is here ⚖️

Ah yeah, that’s a point. I have only recently set up this weekly transfer (was using Salary Sorter but decided to automate it) and the first one hasn’t gone yet. Maybe the graph will have a bit of a revelation after the first payment has gone over.

1 Like

But it is though. Right now on the free account you can look at trends for budgeting from months gone by.

As I read it - right now you have an add (pulse line for free account for the month) but if they apply this logic to budgeting when it’s all under one roof you lose the historical budgeting trends on the free account, which currently you would have.

But the “old” trends view isn’t disappearing. You can toggle between them, so presumably people with free accounts will only see the line graph for the current month, but will be able to toggle across to the old-style view including the history that it presents.

1 Like

But that’s not what this says though…

Maybe I’ve drunk too much (or too little!) coffee and who knows, maybe this won’t happen but to me it seems like a free account is slowly becoming a “basic” account (i.e you can spend money but not much else) over time.

Sorry @avb @AlanDoe I’ll stop now and let the trends thread focus back onto the good work that has and will be happening with it :slight_smile:

Literally the sentence before the one you quoted is

The balance view graph will live in a new view one tap away from your regular spending graph.

So the “old” view will be there under “Spending”, and the new one will be there under “Balance”, with a range that depends on your account level

And you still will. The bar charts won’t change.

NewPulse is new, so nothing can be taken away as nobody had it. Paying people can see it historically, non payers cannot. But non payers will be able to see current month, in addition to what was there last week.

1 Like

We’ll have to disagree, as I can’t see anywhere explicitly where it says that will happen, in fact the opposite.

Anyway, the pulse line is cool and a really nice addition to all accounts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, which is my point. But clearly it’s either wrong or different to others so I’ll stop trying to make it, and I guess we’ll see what happens eh

Anyone else on here like me still waiting for it? Haha.

5 Likes

Yep me :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

To clarify, everyone can still look at older months on the balance tab, and yearly view, but they won’t see the graph. So outside of the current month (where on balances you get more for free because you get the graph unlike on spending), balances works the same as spending and non-Plus/Premium users can still dig into all their old data

10 Likes

I love that I can now see line graphs of my savings pots balances over time :heart_eyes:

There’s a couple of things that makes it not quite as useful as it could be for me yet:

1. Because the savings pots providers don’t tend to increase rates on existing pots, you have to keep closing pots and opening new ones (even with the same provider) to get better rates. This breaks the data for Trends. Maybe if Trends could identify if the new pot has exactly the same name as the old pot and then treat it as the same pot for Trends purposes?

2. The default view for trends is the monthly view, which I think makes sense for spending/current account balance. However, to see the balance trends for a pot, you have to individually deselect each current account/credit card, select the pot you want, then have to change to yearly view, so a lot of steps just to see how the pot balance is trending. I’m assuming most people would add to a saving pot once a month, and so seeing the balance trend over a month rather than year would just be a flat line for most. You then have to reverse all those steps to get back to your normal accounts overview. It would also be cool if you could see the pots balance trends right from each pots detail screen also.

Also, I like having my credit cards selected along with my current account for the Spending section of Trends. This seems less useful on the Balance view however, as it keeps showing me as in the red at the end of previous months, just because I’ve bought something near the end of the money on my credit card, but not removed the money from a pot to pay that off until a few days into the next calendar month. It would work for me if I could have the credit cards etc selected on the Spending view, but only my Monzo account selected by default on the Balance view.

3 Likes

That’s a bit strong isn’t it?

3 Likes

Or just aggregate all pots?

1 Like

Hey @avb thanks for confirming.

2 Likes

Some further thoughts @avb and tying into what @AlanDoe asked about how can Monzo help with the cost of living (give us free money :laughing: :eyes: )

• Starting Balance is kind of useful but feels like it uses a lot of space up. Also I’m not too sure how useful this is to me personally.
  • Where we have money in/out this could be a combo chart, similar to the one that’s under spending, and akin to a “dashboard” so I could see the trend over time.
  • Since how much I’ve spent per category is essentially duplicated (for now) on the spending and the balance tabs it would be useful if one of them was insights instead. For example “you’ve spent £xx more on shopping this month that last month”" "“You’re spending more on takeaways” etc.
  • Total upcoming I’ll reserve judgement on until I can see it used in real life, but looks good.
  • The “estimated balance” I sort of get in that it works out what you have, and what is scheduled, to work out what you’ll have but here’s where it could be next level. Take the average weekly spend and build that into the forecast so it takes account of that too.

I’ve no idea how possible or useful to others these ideas are, but it’s a really great journey so far and looking forward to the future.

4 Likes

Just out of interest (it’s not like I keep opening and refreshing my Monzo app 17 times a day), how long will it take before it’s been switched on for all customers?

4 Likes

I think I’ve found a glitch of sorts. If you hold the line and drag it briefly does this (on iOS)

1 Like

This is an awesome upgrade has made such a massive impact on my Monzo experience
The left to spend feature is excellent and it’s nice to see my upcoming expenditure

My one criticism is that there is still no way to have a trends reset every four weeks that’s when I get paid

8 Likes

:raising_hand_man: