Better way to balance your money in Trends is here ⚖️

It also gets wobbly if you use the get paid early feature :frowning:

1 Like

So would I, but unless I’m reading wrong, the post I was replying to is paid the last working day before the 28th of the month, so your suggestion wouldn’t help them.

As someone who is paid last working day of the month this would work fine, I’m not sure it would for them.

1 Like

I suppose it depends what works for @Sprinter1067. If the period resets when they get paid then all the backward looking stuff will be true and accurate. What won’t be quite right is the forward looking stuff: £x / day calculation and Targets Budgets.

In an ideal world we’d have three things:

• Period resets when you’re paid.
  • More complex ways of telling Monzo what your pay cycle is
  • A way to marry a budgeting period (e.g. calendar months) with pay periods (e.g four weekly, weekly, monthly etc).

Agreed however given so many budgeting apps and banks don’t work this part well I am inclined to think it’s not going to happen with Monzo, at least not any time soon. Anything more complex than the full month or the last working day seems to be too complex.

I think it’s just time and effort needed. If Monzo see the value in it then I’m sure they could crack it.

I’m cautiously optimistic that the different pay periods needed in the US might help make the case. :crossed_fingers:

“I want it to start from this payment and end on dd/mm/yyyy”

Changing payment period is such a frequent request.

2 Likes

No need for that either. If the budget period just reset every time my wage payment came in, it would automatically reset every month/week/4 weeks/however often you get paid.

The only scenario I can think of where that wouldn’t work is if you worked multiple jobs and had more than one incoming wage payment?

Nope, works perfectly here too. As long as the trigger for the reset was the payment itself coming in, not just the date the last payment arrived.

So for me at least, I would propose that the rest trigger was the payment itself coming it. But then for prediction/budgeting purposes, I’d be happy for it to use the last date/interval as +/-2 days would be accurate enough.

2 Likes

But the budget needs an end date. If you don’t have a fixed pay cycle it won’t know when to end the current cycle.

4 Likes

I’d like to be able to set the month (25th to 24th for me) as we do now but then be able to manually for the start of the next month early when a payment arrives a day or two before schedule.

“This looks like your usual pay, do you want to start the next month?”

(Edit: this would also cover being paid early in December)

3 Likes

Well assuming that the end date remains the 25th or something then yes, I would agree something like this would be great.

3 Likes

Ah I see what you mean now. I’d be happy for it to use the length of the previous budget period, or an average of the last 3 or something.

Although I can see where the complication comes in now. As the figures might shift each month when the payment comes in, and the budget has to update with ‘actual’ budget period rather than ‘estimated’ budget period.

For me that would be fine though as it would still be more accurate that having to set a fixed date. But I understand some people really do budget to the exact day and my solution may not be ideal.

2 Likes

I’m possibly being thick here but is there any way of adjusting the amount per day (and total) spend to account for income that comes in throughout the month? Just got a bit extra into my account but my spend is now going to be skewed the whole month if I touch any of it…

If you put it into a category that’s counted, then that category will go into a - and you’ll “gain” it

Ah I see yes that makes sense. So can’t be “income”.

I kind of wish I could just choose individual transactions to exclude from Trends.

2 Likes

I was mildly sceptical about this to start, but I’ve come around to this. Needs to happen.

2 Likes

Weird bug - marking a category as excluded removes it from the spending tab but not the target tab.

1 Like

@RoreEricaOkoh @benstrak
I would like to find out why Trends became irrelevant to use for (eg) Revolut Euro (sub) account statistics?

It was all good until around Aug 2022. I could see individual account statistics. Not any more :confused:

I better cancel my :monzo: Plus and subscribe to Emma instead :smirk:

I did refer to it here on Forum and directly to Customer Support last year. Seems NO one knows what’s going on, nor intested to look into :confused:

Monzo became as unfinished LEGO set. You can build something, but NOT what it says on the tin :grimacing: nor it’s gonna work properly :unamused:

1 Like

Does anyone know how I can include what is left from my spending target in the estimated balance on Trends. My estimated balance is currently inaccurate as upcoming payments does not take into account what has been budgeted as a spending target?
Thanks

1 Like

I’m not sure you can?

If I read this right:

• You set a target of £1000 to last the month for discretionary spend
  • For example you have £2000 to start with and £500 of bills
  • If you spent nothing else, budget would show that after the bills you have £1500 left
  • You want it to show presume that you’ve spent all your discretionary spend and that you have £500 left

I’m not too sure personally how useful that would be, because what if it forecast a number, but you then over spent on your target.

Thank you for your help with this,

May be it’s just how my brain works but having that number taking into account allocated money put aside for target spending would enable me to estimate how much money I have in the account just in case I do overspend.
What is happening now is let’s say I have estimated balance of £400 but my target spending has £500 left, that estimated balance will slowly go down with time to the point that if I am not careful would go negative.

May be I am not using this correctly, but when it comes to big ad-hoc expenses excluded from target spend I refer to estimated budget to see if I can afford it or not.

2 Likes