Better way to balance your money in Trends is here ⚖️

Speaking to the team tomorrow so I’ll raise a few of the points here and see if we can get an update. :bulb:

8 Likes

Foreign currency accounts are not showing its individual Trends again :scream:

Once I tap top right Trend sign, it always leads me to GBP (main) Trends

Picture sample shows Swiss CHF expenses on Revolut

If it stays as it is, there will be no point to add CHF, Eur or other accounts then :thinking:

Could you please enquire when variable dates can be delivered so that 28 day (4 week) trends can be used? TIA

2 Likes

Is anyone else’s Spending in Trends showing values they can’t make sense of?

It’s showing I’ve only saved £10 this month, but I’ve saved a lot more than that lol.
When I click into it all of the transactions seem to be showing twice though… one with the value in green and one in black.

I can’t figure out what’s gone wrong.

Is that in and out of pots?

Top left you can toggle what is/isn’t included

Yeah this can be confusing.

The black figures are from the account that you’re sending money from - they’re debits.

The greens are the credits in the savings account / pot.

Now the rub: for Trends to work you can only have one of them categorised as savings. Or never select both accounts at the same time.

For example, I have money out from Monzo categorised as Savings, and in the connected amount as a Transfer. That way it works perfectly.

2 Likes

Ah I see, thank you :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll recategorise all the green ones as Transfers then.
It’s weird that it’s only causing an issue this month though. Maybe it’s because I closed all my pots to open new ones and that’s just messed up Trends, I’m not sure :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Ah, if you’re taking money out of savings accounts then back into different savings accounts then it’s probably right?

The logic being that you’re not actually adding additional savings (which is what Trends is telling you) just moving it around.

5 Likes

Oh jeez :see_no_evil::laughing: yep of course.
It’s been a long day lol

3 Likes

I have not followed all posts in this topic, so please excuse me if it’s been mentioned before somewhere that slipped me, but… I still can’t unmark transactions as non-repeating in the Balance section of Trends. After a few months of having the Balance feature, during which I have switched some payments round to different accounts, the ‘upcoming payments’ are a complete mess, showing payments that I’ve tapped to cancel multiple times months ago, and showing several payments two or three times, once for each account they’ve ever been taken from, even if they’ve long been switched to a diffferent account.
This of course makes the Balance forecast meaningless as it thinks my balance will end up being a lot less than it actually will be.

Is this known to the devs and on track to be fixed?

1 Like

I had something similar the other day. It’s a workaround, but what worked for me was finding the original transaction in the connected account feed and marking it as not repeating from there.

As I say, not optimal but hopefully it might work for you in the meantime?

Ah thanks, didn’t think of doing that. It’s a bit of a hassle, but might try it later, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I’ve shelved the use of trends and balance until a better roll out of basic functions becomes apparent. The total lack of being able to adjust for 4 weekly pay / 28 day periods just makes the whole experience miserable.

1 Like

Same for me sadly.

3 Likes

I tried that but it was too cumbersome and slow from trying to find the very first transaction I went to. It should just be doable from the Trends screen, especially since the UI makes you think it’s doable but then nothing happens.

1 Like

Oh totally, it definitely needs fixing. I just thought I’d share a quick hack that worked for me, however suboptimal it might be.

1 Like

So I’ve not really been using Balance. I’ve said before that one reason is that it doesn’t take into account future transactions.

But I’ve found that another reason is that I want it to just run off my Monzo account. Now, I can change the selected accounts but that also changes the Spending tab, where I want a different set of accounts selected.

Basically, what I’m saying is that I’d really like to have a different default set of accounts selected for Balance than for Spending - a bit like how budgeting works on a different set.

7 Likes

I still don’t get how this is so difficult. I had the same issue when I was using Emma for budgeting. My pay isn’t 4 weekly, but it’s the last working day before the 28th or something like that. So it’s different every month depending on weekends/bank holidays.

Literally all they have to do is let us select “Reset budget period when payment from X received” and problem solved!

2 Likes

I guess I would then have to ask “reset for how long?” if you’re basing it on incoming transactions.

1 Like

So I’d be quite happy with setting Monzo to reset on the last working date, but then for it to be pulled forward automatically when I get paid early the day before that.

Ultimately, I think we need to move to a situation where we split budgeting periods and pay periods. I’m thinking for US folk who are usually paid weekly but often budget monthly.

1 Like